Cold Mornings Problem

fishman85

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been having a strange problem with my 2001 s3 (facelift amk 210) on cold mornings first thing I have no boost what so ever. This has stuck through 50 mile journeys so its not a warming up issue. Also more recently I have noticed that this only happens on the first startup of a cold morning. IE if i start the engine and turn it off and start it again it is fine.

Anyone ever have anything similar or know of what i could check to fix this?

Cheers

I have check vagcom but it doesn't show any errors. Would n75 show up there?

Dunno mate, i'm sure someone will know. Sorry i'm not much help

I've heard of this before but for life of me cant remember the fix, HTC is well versed with 8L so see if he can chirp in, but sounds like somethings stuck overnight due to prelonged hours not used, which the 1st start up releases, then before 2nd start it swings back so its loose for normal workings, cant be maf cause thats not mechanical in anyway just a sensor, but maf's do cause number of issues, check inside anyway for any crap, wont hurt to check & 5 minute job, also air filter at same time, unlikely but hey again 5 minute job, so valve it could be, if I rememeber I'll post.

Have you checked your DV aswell, is it stock DV or aftermarket?

It's stock as far as i know. Should probably mention aswell that it has a qst remap and miltek aswell. Although these were both done about 5 years ago.

I have heard that the ECU holds back in a kind of limp mode until the engine is warmed up a bit to protect itself (too clever these modern engines!!) and while not that noticeable in standard form as the differenec between limp and normal power is not as much, this is more noticable on a remapped engine due to there being a bigger difference between limp and remapped power...

Must admit i read the title of the post and thought 'i have the same problem'...turns out its a different issue:sex:

I disagree, mine for 7 years on cold mornings never went into limp mode & you would seriously notice limp mode tbh as they're distinct power differences from stock, where's HTC when you need him.

I do not think it has anything do do with warming up as the engine won't warm up that much in the 2 seconds it on for the first start to the second start if you get my drift.

Ok so I was half asleep this morning and forgot to double start it. Really ****** annoying going to work with no power. Any body have any ideas on this?