WANTED! LHD S3 headlights..

M6C DAZ

Reaction score
Hello I'm facing a dilemma I'm British forces posted in Germany and because of army orders I have to get LHD lights and pass a lights and road worthiness test.

I went to a dealership and got quoted a ridiculous amount especially with today's weak pound.

Anyone got any they wish to sell??

My cars pre-face lift so just need the headlights I think.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to get my car BFG'd by the 4th of feb otherwise my car is not allowed to be driven until I get some lights :ohmy:

Well im pretty sure these lights will have an adjuster lever to change l/rhd. IIRC its a metal lever if you remove the cover from the rear of the light. I also think its a pig of a job.

Not sure if its just facelift or not

Do a search and you should come up with something,

Yup, no need to buy new lights. There is a lever on the back of the lights to swap between RHD and LHD beams.

HAving said that, I've not checked re-facelift. Deffo the case for post face-lift.

WHAT!! THERE IS A LEVER??? I cant believe iv'e been hunting for LHD lights if there adjustable i'll have to check... where do I look??

You say pre face lift deffo has them yeah?

I think HTC is saying he's not sure about pre-facelift, but facelift ones defo have them so can't see why yours wouldn't really.

I've been to France recently so I learn't how to switch from Right to Left before I went so I could swap over on the ferry. They've got new laws over there from July 08, gotta have a high-vis jacket for each passenger, gotta have replacement bulbs and warning triangle so I didn't want to risk things by leaving my lights.

Anyways, I'll describe the procedure for changing the bulb direction, hopefully it'll be helpful even if yours is pre-facelift.

Drivers side
- This one is easiest.
- Take all engine covers off.
- Remove the backing cover to the headlight by pushing the two clips to release it.
- This bits important; the lead to the xenon bulb carries a lot of power. I can only recommend locating the fuse for the xenons and temporaily removing it first. I didn't do this, but doesn't mean you shouldn't. The lead to the xenons is red and is removed by slightly rotating the lead to release it. Tuck this well out of the way.
- Now you can reach the metal level to adjust the direction. It sits underneath the moulded housing for the xenon bulb. Reach your hand under the housing and you should feel the lever. It will feel a bit loose and all you have to do is slide it in the direction you need (to the right in your case, presuming you are facing the engine bay from the number plate). When you slide it it will clunk into place (it requires a little bit of force), but it doesn't feel very solid when it slides into position.

Passenger side
- This one is a bit of a pain as the battery is in the way.
- Take all engine covers off.
- There is a plastic bracket over the battery. This can be lifted up by releasing the clips round the sides and front of the battery. You don't need to remove this, just realease the clips and lift it up (it hinges at the back of the battery). Keep this lifted by tying it to the strut brace at the back of the engine bay.
- The battery sits too close to the back of the headlight to get easy access, but you don't need to remove the battery. The battery is held in place by a metal plate down the front and to the bottom of the battery. Its held tight by a 10mm nut. With an extention bar its easy to loosen the bolt and remove it and the litte plate its with. At this point you should be able to tilt the battery towards the back of the car and you'll see it opens up lots more room behind the headlight, more than the drivers side. Jam something between the front of the battery and the back of the front grill. My extention bar was just the right lenght to push and hold the battery back out of the way. Obviously be careful where you jam the extention bar, i.e not into the radiator etc, but there are safe places you can do this.
- Remove the backing cover to the headlight by pushing the two clips to release it.
- Remove te lead to the xenons (red lead) by slightly rotating the lead to release it. Tuck this well out of the way.
- Now you can reach the metal level to adjust the direction, instructions as before.

Sorry I've gone on a bit there, but hope it helps!

Yep, it seems you're right HTC, it is only the driver that needs one, £100 on the spot fine if not. Turns out the driver needs to be able to put it on before getting out of the car, so me keeping it in the boot is as useful as not having one!

If you havent sorted it spotted these!

As per HTC though, must be a level somewhere. Good luck!

http://cgi.ebay.de/Set-AUDI-A3-S3-00-03-LHD-european-headlamps-headlights_W0QQitemZ370114946701QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item370114946701&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1318