d.i.y service

combatrover

LIVING THE AUDI DREAM
Reaction score
hi all, i have done my own servicing on many cars, so am going to attempt the service on our a3 1.6 sport, can someone tell me where the fuel filter is located please, and any tips and hints rhat can help me out, and do i have to take the car to a garage to get rid of the service icon on the dash? or can i do this my self? plus we have had the car for just over a year now, and every winter the oil cap filler looks like mayonaise, on other cars this is an idication for head gasket, but we have been told from audi garage by us, that is a commen problem because o the nature of my misses work, because she does stop start work as she is a community carer, so the car doesnt get chance to warm up, and that it is not head gasket, is this true? thanks. :icon_thumright:

mayo or white stuff on oil cap= condensation

fuel filter: offside near rear wheel (underneath car)

do a search regarding the service light. easy job

all of these have been covered. just do a search. will get loads of info.

BTW Welcome :)

thanks, couldnt find a search button, thats why there was alot of posts, have found it now. thank you for your help.

are there any advantages of replacing a fuel filter?

Tips on changing the fuel filter from my experience though others may comment differently

Firstly wear some plastic gloves and get your cuffs underneath them so that fuel doesn't go up you sleeve and also wear some goggles (up to you - but fuel in the eye is pretty painful!)

1. Have as little fuel in as a possible to minimise loss
2. Remove the fuel pump fuse (I think it is number 15 but double check)
3. Open the fuel cap
4. Crank the engine till it dies out.
5. Undo the Jubilee Clip first - use WD40 to remove dirt and too loosen
6. Have a bucket/tray underneath to catch the fuel etc
7. Use a small flat head screw driver to unclip the connectors.
8. Pull gently at one end and then pour out the fuel
9. Keep the old fuel filter level otherwise all the fuel will spill out
10. Get the new one on asap and clip back in - you can dip the new one in the fuel to get it soaked but that is up to you.
11. Don't forget to do up the jubliee clip and put the fuse back in before you crank the engine.