Door cards.....What a pain in the butt...!!

mdoyle69

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Ok so i got all the kit i need to upgrade my audio system in my S3. I am now trying to take the door cards off....WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!!!!

I figured out how to take them off...you lift it up and pull it out, (after undoing the 3 screws of course) but it still wouldnt come off!!

My hands are killing me know!!

Anyone got any tips for me please???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

On the A3 98 model there are actually 5 screws in total... two on either sides at the top holding the card onto the frame. Then there are 3 others near the door handle... have u checked to see that all screws have been removed?? When u remove the screw near the door handle u should flick the middle plastic up or down to reveal 2 further screws. After you have removed these then you can life up the card.

Hope that helps...

There are only 3 screws on the door card, i am pretty sure of that. Mine is a 2003 facelift model so i presume they changed the design slightly.

What a pain in the butt!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think you have missed some screws /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Have you taken the screw out from under the door handle removed the plastic cover and then removed the two screws behind this?

The screw you can see on the right is the one I removed...

Is the grey coloured plastic the cover you are on about neilc????

If you remove this does it expose more screws????

What is that nasty white stuff is it some kind of protective film ?

[ QUOTE ]
garethj said:
What is that nasty white stuff is it some kind of protective film ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the silver nappa leather that matches the seats u muppet.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Or where you takin the P1ss???

I think the flash on my camera makes it look white as opposed to silver.

should be 2 more screws once u remove that screw near the control unit. Just have to shift that middle bit of plastic down and the you shold see them.

pull the plastic trim down from behind the handle which will reveal 2 more screws, removes these also and then remove the 2 screws on the top edge of the door panel. One at either end.
Very simple once u know how

Yeah, pull the oval plastic trim downwards from the screw side and you will see two screws through the door card into the door. This ties the door handle to the door so when you close the door from the inside you are physically pulling on the door and not on the door card. All cars I have owned have had screws between the door handle and the door to tie the two together.

Well that explains why i couldnt get the damn thing off then!!!!!

Cheers guys....I am gunna try it tommorow!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Oh and BTW...enjoy the match!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

The one thing that PDF doesn't show or anything that been mentioned so far is the insulating foam that lurks behind the door cards.

I can quite happily remove the cards. Putting them back on in a squeak free fashion is another thing.

At the join next to the wing mirror, I have a 0.5 cm gap, with foam visible below. I can't seem to remedy this no matter what I try. All screws and clips have been replaced.

Any ideas?

Could it be due to the crossovers that have been stashed inside the cards? Does anyone have a good place to mount them? Mine's tucked away but not mounted - maybe they should be glued somewhere??

I double sided mine and stuck them to the metal frame - that way they dont come in the way of the windows(when coming down) and they wont move around when the car goes over bumps etc... Also depends how big ure x-overs are, i got Diamond M6's and the x-overs just about fitted!!