What to look for when buying?

Keefo

Reaction score
Hi all :)

Currently on the look out for a 1.8T A3 to buy for around 3k!, i know it isnt much but its all i got at the moment haha

Would like to save as much cash as posible as i would like to have some money left over to buy some other things haha

So, as my price range isnt too high that also meants the cars i will be looking at will have quite high miles (1000k+), so i would like to know what i should be looking for when i go look at some around my area?

As i want a Turbo, will these be wearing or anything at this at milages this high?

Also, if you know any for sale around UK, Manchester/oldham area please let me kno ;-) haha

:beerchug:

Hello....

Right, mileage shouldn't be to much of a factor as long as everything feels good when you drive it,

Check when the cambelt was last done along with the water pump, if not in the last 40,000 miles you may have to get this done....

Check for rust along the bottom of the doors and the edge of the roof....

For your budget you should be able to pick up a reasonable A3 1.8t fwd, i sold mine last year with almost 100,000 miles on the clock, uprated suspension and wheels.....the car was as solid as the day i bought it on 60,000 miles....

Good luck with finding a car.....

haha cheers mate :)

Also, if the cambelt and water pump needed doing, how much would i be looking at if i got it done myself??

Cheers

£200-£300 for the cambelt and pump....but obviously you run the risk of buying the car and it going wrong before you get it done... that would be real bad luck if that happened though...Lol

To be honest i have had REALLY bad luck with engines so if i got this A3 1.8T (got 140k miles on clock...)

Id get the cambelt n pump done withint the first week of having it haha

I've just had a quick look on autotrader and there are plenty of A3's within your budget with 70 -100,000 miles on the clock with the belt and pump done....rather than spend to get the work done, put towards the car originally to get a better one....theres some good cars to be had for your money, you may have to travel a bit but i always find its worth traveling for the car you want....

haha yeah thats my main concern, i have seen much better deals on autotrader but they are quite far away as i dont have a car to get to most of these places :-s

patience is the key..trust me.

haha yeah this is true!
But i need a car asap :-s got to go from Oldham to Bolton every day and takes like 2 hours on bus!! :-(