Failed MOT - Just a reminder!

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As the subject really, was expecting my car to fly through! Took it to VW as my best friend works there and always looks after me, got a phone call that while it was on the ramp they'd spotted that one of my rear springs had broken and was hanging lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (part of it)

Just so relieved it got spotted, as I've been driving it round corners quite spritley LOL and it's been handling really well! (well I thought it was!) If it had given way who knows what may have happened! (didn't look any lower either!)

Apparently it's a common fault due to bad design of the 'pig tails' on them, so next time your cars up on the ramp check yours.

Thanks for the tip mate. What's the mileage on your car - I'm assuming its the original standard springs that are still on it?

Mine failed for exactly the same thing and i didnt notice any handling issues with the car at all before it was spotted.

e2a, mine was on 86k

Mine failed for exactly the same thing and i didnt notice any handling issues with the car at all before it was spotted.

e2a, mine was on 86k

No way, mines on 86K as well, how random!

Yeah didn't look any lower either - bizzare! Yes original OE springs, apparently the other one looked liked it had been changed so must be a common problem. I hope one arch isn't higher than the other now, as my new spring won't have been worn like the rest LOL!

I'd have thought they'd change both rears at the same time?

Supprised you couldn't tell the difference, maybe you'll notice how good it is when its all sorted and re-alligned

I'd have thought they'd change both rears at the same time?

Hmm yeah, well the other looked like it had been changed apparently.. that was the recomendation from my mate whose a tech at VW.

LOL yeah, should be interesting!

I can notice the difference with my offside front spring broken. Apart from the bangs and rattles there isn't as much "spring" on that side :)

I've heard that a combination of the cold weather & the governments use of road humps causes a lot of the problems on modern cars.

mine passed with a broken spring :) was only the end ring so would have been a hard spot. Only done 50k and I only saw it when I swapped the suspension

The fail sheet on mine was a page and a half long!

The rear spring broken was one of the problems aswell.