S3: Detailed my car the other day...Beware 56K!!

Dennis Moeller

Reaction score
Hello folks...

Just wanted to show you how bad the paint was on my newly bought S3 and how it turned out. This is my 4th detail but my first time with a rotary (used to have a Cyclo copy). It took me a good 15 hours as the paint really were miserable. The worst I've ever seen IRL...

Just arrived at the shop:
DSC_0002-1.jpg

Washed and Clayed:
DSC_0008-3.jpg

Weapons of choice:
DSC_0038.jpg

The Crimescene:
DSC_0040.jpg

Paint was bad but this is nothing:
DSC_0048.jpg

See...:
DSC_0019-1.jpg

Bonnet was worst:
DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

Yeah another problem area:
DSC_0019-1-1.jpg

The tailgate was matt and worn totally down:
DSC_0022-1.jpg

A pretty deep scratch across the bonnet:
DSC_0029.jpg

One of the best areas:
DSC_0024.jpg

50/50 of bonnet:
DSC_0057.jpg

50/50:
DSC_0056-1.jpg

50/50:
DSC_0055.jpg

Before:
DSC_0051.jpg

After, this area took me a good hour, pic is after one or two passes out of several:
DSC_0054.jpg

Before:
DSC_0048.jpg

After:
DSC_0050.jpg

Right fender after one pass with SIP, still one more of that and two passes with 106FF:
DSC_0044.jpg

Frontbumper pretty much done:
DSC_0042.jpg

The car was in a war with the rotary fighting off the layers of CC:
DSC_0045.jpg

Spoiler before, notice the roof...:
Spoilerogtakfr.jpg

Spoiler after 1, 2 and 3:
SpoilerEtterI.jpg

SpoilerEtterII.jpg

SpoilerEtterIII.jpg

Mirror cap before:
SpeilFr.jpg

Mirror cap after:
Speiletter.jpg

Some area before pic 1 and 2:
HndtakfrI.jpg

HndtakfrII.jpg

After pic 1 and 2:
HndtaketterII.jpg

HndtaketterI.jpg

Another before pic:
Listfr.jpg

And another after:
Listetter.jpg

Before:
Drfr.jpg

After:
Dretter.jpg

Before:
Bakskjermfr.jpg

After: yes you're getting used to it now...
BakskjermEtter.jpg

I had to step back a couple of time to relax and enjoy my baby getting prettier and prettier by the hour while my body began to complain:
DSC_0058-1.jpg

Finally the tailgate which was a nightmare and took forever to detail...come out a 100% tho:
BakklapII.jpg

BakFrII.jpg

Afters:
BaketterI.jpg

Moneyshots:
MoneyshotI.jpg

MoneyshotII.jpg

Whole car when I was going home...tired but one happy camper YES!!

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

Nice work there Dennis, get some natural light pics up to!

Thanks, sure will do! I drove to the place in which I did the detail in snowy weather and it's been snowing like mad for days...wethar forecast says snow, snow and more snow. But as soon as the sun come out...

Very very nice! Well done mate!

Want to do mine for me? ;)

Cheers...Nah, won't do another car for months mate :puke2:

It's a love/hate thing :rolleyes:

Hey Dennis, great job you done there, defo worth the hours....ona seperate note, loving the blacked out grille and rings, looks TUFF!!!!

YOUR STEERING WHEELS ON THE WRONG SIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wtf:lolol..

Good job...

This is what i do for a living,and i know how much of a ball ache it can be,but how much of a "stand back,and i did that" factor you get out of it when its done...

Fair play mate...

Pete...

great wokr there dennis. really like that. how long did it take

It took close to 16 hours. Now remember that I didn't put any sealer or wax on the car...that would have added 1-2 hour.

what do you use to get the scratches out?

Wow! good effort has definatley paid off top result there!

also like the black grille loos very nice,

No....56K is the download speed people with dail-up get...."Beware" cause it will take all year to see the high-res pics

Remember dial up days! And then you get someone that would pick up the phone on the line and the whole thing would disconnect!

Yeah, ages ago wasn't it. What a crap way to access the internet. I still remember what amount of time it could take to load the webpages haha...and the dialogue box that came up together with the modem dialling :)

Still use the terminology to let us know that a thread is filled with nice pic's...

@jcb: The products I used are shown in one of the pictures...along with a rotary you'll be able to take out almost all scratches. As long as they're not too deep you'll be fine..

Hell, that's some good work there...
Well done.

How do you find the rotary?
I've never been brave enough...I have no problem wading in with a Megs 220...but a rotary?
I still have a dread of the damage they can do.

looks good , is that the 4th detail on that car or your 4th car you have detailed ???

No that was the 4th detail on 4 different cars.

Hell, that's some good work there...
Well done.

How do you find the rotary?
I've never been brave enough...I have no problem wading in with a Megs 220...but a rotary?
I still have a dread of the damage they can do.

Thanks mate, I always pushed forward the debute on the rotary as I was so secure with the dual action machine. At the same time I hated that I couldn't correct different paints as I wanted. So the missus little Lupo had to stand trial. And when I discovered how well I could correct the paint I knew I never would use the old machine again. But it's learning process I guess. I can't say that I'm experienced and I did actually burn the paint, right above the doorhandle. Everybody told me that it's unavoidable and that it's bound to happen sooner or later...Luckily it came around and I managed to remove the burn with a very fine polish and really low speeds...and of course no pressure on the machine, just the weight itself.

So I would say, don't be scared! Just practice on an old car and be very careful. Always start with the least agressive product and pad first and check too see if the paint was corrected. Take one small area at a time and make sure the product is broken down before you finish, and finish each pass with low speed just to make sure the product is broken down. Buy a quality rotary right away, don't waste money on a heavy machine like mine...your back will suffer :) And in general; read as many guides as you can. They ACTUALLy give you great tips...

Good luck...

Nice work - looked like it needed doing! I bet that took ages? You're more patient than I!

No....56K is the download speed people with dail-up get...."Beware" cause it will take all year to see the high-res pics

Sorry, being facetious. I didn't think anyone used dial-up these days, yet I always see it in thread titles.

Nice work on the car Dennis. I hear that Audi paint is pretty damn hard stuff and takes a lot of work to get it that good. Top effort!

Hi how much would a detail cost, thanks Chris.

Really depends on the condition of the car and level of detail required. You could suppose that an average car requires about 15-20 hours for an initial detail. The better detailing companies charge upwards of £30/hour, so you'd be looking at £450-600 as a minimum.

If you stood at my doorstep tomorrow I would say around 400 and I would spend 2 days on the detail. But I get these kinds of offers quite offen and tempting as it might be I have to turn them down. I run a gas station so there's simply not enough hours in a day to say yes. So friends and family who asks will have to wait till things settle down...:undwech:

As been said, depends on the car's condition. I could easily have spend another 5-8 hours on mine to get it in a über klasse condition...And I will.

When I have the time yes...