Panel removal

glen_jai

Reaction score
Website
www.glenster.co.uk
Hi,
I have a couple of annoying rattles in the car.

One is coming from behind the rear quarter on the side the Bose sub sits.
And the other behind the panel that is under the steering wheel.

Anyone know how I can remove the rear quarter panel, and panel under the steering wheel? The rattle is driving me insane!!

Cheers,
Glen

Rear panel is a PITA to remove, you need to remove the back trim first, the bit you can't see when you open the bootlid, lift the metal hooks and undo 4X crosshead screws and it should pull off, then you need to remove the rear seat cusion and possible the rear quarter trim to get the rear part off, I don't remember, maybe Andymac is about to answer this part?

Trim under the steering wheel is easier, you need the correct size starkey for starter, take the fuse panel off and undo a few(around 3 I think?) of the starkey screw, you will know which ones just by looking at it. Take the headlamp swith out and undo the 2 connctors, you do this by pushing the actual knob inwards and rotating to the left and then pulling out. Then there are 2 or 3 more screws from underneath and the whole thing just pulls out, requires a firm tug though.

Sorry I couldn't be more clear or accurate with my instructions, but if I can do it, anyone can do it, just needs time and patience.

Panel under the steering wheel is easy enough.
First remove the headlight switch. It's like a bayonet light bulb. Push in the main dial and turn it clockwise as if turning on the headlights. Still holding put it towards you. The unit should slide out. Unclip the electrical connectors. To replace just slide it back in till it locates.
Now remove the side panel to get to the fuses in the car. Undo about 5 or 6 T20 torx screws. Then undo another 3 T20 screws from under the panel. Remove it towards to. There are two pop off holders at the top. Just pull on the top edge of the panel to release them.

Depending on year, you'll probably have to push out the diagnostics port or disconnect it.

As for the other panel, if you mean the boot side panel, then I think you have to remove the passenger side panel and boot cross piece, but I'm not sure on that one. Ask the ICE gurus like AndyMac for better info.

Thanks a lot JoJo, HTC.
I shall have a go at the panel under the steering first then, as it sounds much more straightforwards.
I'll need to buy a T20 torque screw driver now.

Cheers again fellas.

Right, I've taken out the panel under the steering wheel, but can't seem to get the ruddy clip on the right of the steering wheel, back in.

Any tips on how to force it back into the slot?

Cheers,
Glen

Thanks HTC, the panel may be damaged, because I cannot get it to pop back onto the clip. Might just remove the metal clip all together.

As a matter of interest, which way should the clip be (rotationwise)?

Thanks again,
Glen

Like this.

RLTC.jpg