ECU Swap - Audi S3

s3_jon

Reaction score
I currently have a 1999 Audi S3 210 pre-facelift car, its got a really nice remap and lots of bolt on's. (Big brake converion, full stainless system, high flow cats, silicon pipes, forge dv, etc etc)

I have got my hands on a 2000 S3 210 in much better condition with all the factory optional toys, I am looking to move all the bolt on parts from my old one to the new one, but at the same time i want to take the remapped ecu as well.

Can anyone tell me what i will need to do / get done to get the ecu running in the new car and to enable traction control and cruise control on the ecu once its fitted, the old car had neither and the new car has both?

I have access to vagcom and a full workshop.

Prob be better off swapping the bits you can, flogging whats left and getting the new car remapped from the proceeds...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the updates, The one i am swapping it with isnt mine so i cant sell it to make money.

Basicly I am building a high spec every day car from the best bits of both current cars, then the other guy is building a drag car from the spare shell and selling the spare 1.8t and s3 parts.

The current ecu has a full custom map on it and the guy who did it is not avalible.
Both cars are AYP engines, what difficulties am i going to run into?

The new ECU will have to be adaped to the new clocks and keys. You need to use a prog (can't remember the name) to get the log in secure key code (SKC) and the vag-com to perform the adaption encoding.

If both cars are APY then you could just swap out the clocks, ecu and keys and it should work, but that would involve swapping over the locks from the doors and ignition barrel too.

Depends how much time you want to spend on it.

I am swapping the whole blue/black interier from the old car into the new one as the newer car has scruffy white/black at the moment, along with all the silcone (sp?) engine piping, ecu, full stainless sytem, 4pot brake conversion, wheels, spacers, bose system and cd changer, so i could do the clocks but i would prefer not too.

Do you know where i can find out how to do the ecu recode to enable the cruise and eps/traction, i cant really search much at the moment as im posting from work :notme:

Cruise can be turned on via Vag-Com... if you come across a prog for obtaining the SKC i would be interested in what it is as i though if didn't have the SKC then it was dealer only... i was looking at swapping my clocks some time back as i picked up some cheap off ebay but i didn't have the SKC for my car so never went ahead with it

Program for obtaining the SKC is called vag-tacho I believe.

Ross-tech should have the proceedure for recoding. Also saw a code calculator in a post on here a few weeks back. Do a search.

Thanks for the info on vag-tacho, i will search when i get home.

Is the skc the long code that came from audi in a little plastic case?

If so then i have that for the old car /ecu. I dont know if we have one for the new car, i would expect so.

Yes thats the one... i believe older models had a 4 digit code and this changed to a 7 digit code... i have the little plstic thing with all my keys etc but sadly no 4 or 7 digit code.. i'll be giving that prog a try then as the DIS in the ceter of my clocks is almost un readable now