53k miles 210 or 71k miles 225?

ianysm

Reaction score
Hi guys what do you think. I'm going to try and get one in the next week or so

Whichevers in the best condition. One or both may require a cambelt though.

get some pics up when you get one! I aggree which ever has been looked after better. Good luck.

210 will be cheaper to tax than the 225 when and/or if they go ahead with the proposed tax increases

Are they both facelift versions mate?Depends on overall condition and also cambelt service should be due near enough on both of them.

Specs of both cars would allow for a better comparison i dont think mileage really is an issue!

If there both face lift and in good condition etc.. I'd go for the one with least mileage, regardless of standard bhp, once mapped there all the same....I take it you will be mapping :)

I was always under the impression the 210 was better for tuning, what'd you say HTC & I'd agree at that mileage its the overall look & feel of car & make sure to do a vag read if possible aswell, facelifts are preferrable & I believe there are a number of facelifts still with 210's inside in between the 00-01, the front lights were better style & the centre console more eye pleasing tbh

As far as I'm aware, 210 and 225 are internally identical. There might be the odd clip or screw done differently, but on the whole it's the software that differs. Could be wrong.

Ah trying to remember but someone said something about bigger turbo's etc to me while back, I'll see if I can find out what it was about the 210 as I'm sure there was a difference & the 210 was better, number of people said to me, not that I need to know given mines well gone but its one of those nagging things you want answer to, lol

K04-021/022/023 are the turbos. All the same trim and wheel size I believe. Some have exhaust temp sensors. Again mostly hearsay. I've never physically measured anything. Remaps all seem to produce similar figures.

If you can dig anything up, always interested.

I might be wrong but I think the BAM (225) engine has variable valve timing Kev. I'm not a hundred percent sure on this as I wasn't really bothered which variant I bought, I just wanted the best car I could find for my money (which turned out to be a 210 facelift with 104k and looked like it had just left the factory!).

The BAM is vvt.... That is about the only difference I know to, the older AUM's were stronger I believe, but they didn't build the S3 with that engine code

Yeah the APY 210 was considered stronger thats somethng tickled my crap memory, damn hate age, lol

Yeah the APY 210 was considered stronger thats somethng tickled my crap memory, damn hate age, lol

The APY has 20mm gudeon pins as opposed to the 19mm pins on the 210 AMK and the 225 BAM, ask jojo about the APY, I get confused by antiques. The 225 BAM has slightly different injectors/fuel pump (apparently according to Star Performance) and different mapping.

The 210 AMK was a full facelift S3, with the 225 interior and one peice lights, DBW, etc.

VVT was on the AMK and BAM's, not sure about the APY. However, VVT is for idle only, not like the vtec hondas. All had the K04 turbo, and again not sure about the APY, but the AMK and BAM have the K04-023.

Just to add, the 210bhp AMK is generally the best buy, if the condition is good, as the insurance is cheaper (even after mapping) but you get all the other advantages of the 225bhp BAM.

aha someone has shown us the light, lol

ChrisS3 is right.

Just one thing, the AUM is A3 and VW golf 2 wheel drive. This engine has 19mm gudeon pins.

AGU and APY have forged mahle pistons with that can take serious power, no need to replace if keeping standard bore when modding. AUM, AMK, BAM are of a different manufacturer and considered less strong. But thats relative. Seen 700bhp on stock AGU pistons and 500bhp on stock s3/tt items, so no need to worry either way.
All types, rods are a weak point. and valves above about 8000rpm vvt or not.

I did see some pics of an extra webbing for the block on BAM/AMK engines compared to A3 blocks........can't find it and the block rarely fail anyway.

aha so I was right on that at least, lol, phewwwwwwww

but only really make difference with excessive power huh

So in short, a facelift 00-01 210bhp S3 is the car to go for? Looking to get an S3 in the next couple of weeks as well and this could prove to be usefull information as I was looking @ the 225bhps thinking they were better! :notme:

andy

ask jojo about the APY, I get confused by antiques.

Are you calling my car old? :sob:

And yes, I have 20mm gudeon pins in my motor, but I'm not about to part with my hard earned for a big turbo for more power, I'd rather upgrade to an Evo6/7/8 or S4/RS4 if I want to handle 300+ Horses.

But the S3 is staying for now. :blackrs4:

Intresting reading all of this, as i just bought my s3 2001 AMK 210BHP in nagaro blue Last saturday, pleased to hear its a good model to buy, as i was worried that after re-mapping, the final bhp figures would be less than that of a mapped 225. and the lower tax is such a plus point, especially when your fully comp on your insurance at 20, every little helps.

Cheers guys, interesting info.

I went for the 225 with 71k miles. Collecting it Sat. Can't wait. I've always like these things!!!

It needed the cambelt so i got the garage to do that for me and i get 3 months warranty plus 6 monthss tax.

What sawyed it is i preferred the idea of the later 225 engine and chassis tweaks without having to do that myself.

I'll definately be remapping it an dno doubt other things will follow, but nothing over the top as it has to drive some pretty nasty narrow B roads so suspension etc will be limited to geo settings and decent tyres!

Cheers all
Ian

Also found this:

The first generation S3 is built on the same A platform of the Audi A3, VW Golf Mk4, Audi TT, SEAT León and Škoda Octavia. The straight-420V 1.8 L turbochargedpetrol engine comes in two versions of power output: 210 bhp and 225 bhp. Early models (1999-2001) had 210 bhp which is said to be a de-tuned Audi TT engine, and was said to be reduced to lessen brand competition with the more powerful TT. Later models (2001-2003) had variable valve timing and 225 bhp. The engine provides a maximum 280 newton metres (210 ft·lbf) of torque, most of which is available from 2200 through to 5500 rpm. This is the first time a small four-cylinder engine has been used in an Audi S-series car.
Although dubbed "quattro", the S3 uses a different four-wheel drive system. The Haldex Traction coupling adjusts the bias from the front to rear axle as grip changes - most of the time it operates as a front-wheel drive.
The S3 was sold in the United Kingdom, Europe, Mexico, and Australia, but was not officially marketed in the United States.
The S3 was facelifted in 2000, where it was given one-piece headlights/indicator units, different front wings, rear lights clusters and some minor upgrades to interior trim. There had been minor changes to the design previous to this, including digital clock on the dash.

Hi Ian congrats on getting the car, you mentioned that the garage have done the cambelt (have they done it yet, or is it due to be done???) If its to be done, dont foget to have the waterpump changed as well, as everything is going to be off, otherwise if it goes later on, its going to cost a lot in labour for something that can easily be done when the cambelt is being changed.

Not sure if you are already aware or have had this done, but jut thought its worth knowing :)

Looking forward to the pics

Congrats mate. I'm also looking forward to seeing pics.

Cheers all!

Yep they're doing full service including cam belt, water pump, tensioner etc. Guess they have to if they are offering 3 month warranty

Can't wait!