Steering Wheel Wobble at High Speed (Wheels Balanced)

jomnhta

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been seeking solution to this problems for awhile. I have a S3 and my steering wheel starts to wobble at speed higher than 80mph. I have replaced the top mount, ARB bush, ARB droplinks and control arm bush but there is no improvement.

The only thing left out is the tie-rod ends and the lower ball joints. I have tried jack-up the car and check for play by shaking the wheels but there is definately no play. What do you guys think? Should I change the tie rod ends and balljoints or should there be something else? I don't wanna waste money to change something ain't broke.

I had this on my old coupe... everything balanced and all new front suspension.... turned out my wheels had small flat spots on them... probably from hitting speed bumps too quickly as there's lots near me... imagine your wheels like a 50p ... it can be perfectly balanced but will still shake at speed...

I had this on my old coupe... everything balanced and all new front suspension.... turned out my wheels had small flat spots on them... probably from hitting speed bumps too quickly as there's lots near me... imagine your wheels like a 50p ... it can be perfectly balanced but will still shake at speed...

I agree, swap the wheels front to back and see what happens.

Gavin

Hi guys, I have been seeking solution to this problems for awhile. I have a S3 and my steering wheel starts to wobble at speed higher than 80mph. I have replaced the top mount, ARB bush, ARB droplinks and control arm bush but there is no improvement.

The only thing left out is the tie-rod ends and the lower ball joints. I have tried jack-up the car and check for play by shaking the wheels but there is definately no play. What do you guys think? Should I change the tie rod ends and balljoints or should there be something else? I don't wanna waste money to change something ain't broke.

do you run spacers?

if you have slightly bent wheels, people recommend putting them on the back, which sorts the steering, but then you can feel a constant judder in your bum.

If by changing the wheels, it feels like the judder has changed, then I would assume it is this. Could be tyres. Last resort - change wheel(s)!

yeh, its a buckled wheel, take the wheel off and look on round the inside of it, it'll have a few "flat spots" therefore its not round and will not be a smooth ride.....if you can remember going through a big pot hole, take a pic of it and fill out a claim form - send it to your local road service and request compensation.....either that or take it to an alloy wheel repair centre - they should be able to fix a buckle for under £50