Chris NottEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Steering Wheel Wobble at High Speed (Wheels Balanced)

Hi guys, I have been seeking solution to this problems for awhile. I have a S3 and my steering wheel starts to wobble at speed higher than 80mph. I have replaced the top mount, ARB bush, ARB droplinks and control arm bush but there is no improvement.

The only thing left out is the tie-rod ends and the lower ball joints. I have tried jack-up the car and check for play by shaking the wheels but there is definately no play. What do you guys think? Should I change the tie rod ends and balljoints or should there be something else? I don't wanna waste money to change something ain't broke.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I had this on my old coupe... everything balanced and all new front suspension.... turned out my wheels had small flat spots on them... probably from hitting speed bumps too quickly as there's lots near me... imagine your wheels like a 50p ... it can be perfectly balanced but will still shake at speed...
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    I had this on my old coupe... everything balanced and all new front suspension.... turned out my wheels had small flat spots on them... probably from hitting speed bumps too quickly as there's lots near me... imagine your wheels like a 50p ... it can be perfectly balanced but will still shake at speed...
    I agree, swap the wheels front to back and see what happens.

Gavin

4th Gear

Status
    yep, flatspots - had them on mine

note for future : if you feel wobble through the steering wheel it's the fronts, if the wobbles through the car and not the wheel it's the rears

Neutral

Status
    so... the last resort is to change tires?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jomnhta View Post
    Hi guys, I have been seeking solution to this problems for awhile. I have a S3 and my steering wheel starts to wobble at speed higher than 80mph. I have replaced the top mount, ARB bush, ARB droplinks and control arm bush but there is no improvement.

The only thing left out is the tie-rod ends and the lower ball joints. I have tried jack-up the car and check for play by shaking the wheels but there is definately no play. What do you guys think? Should I change the tie rod ends and balljoints or should there be something else? I don't wanna waste money to change something ain't broke.
    do you run spacers?
    8P S3

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Bent wheel?

2nd Gear

Status
    if you have slightly bent wheels, people recommend putting them on the back, which sorts the steering, but then you can feel a constant judder in your bum.

If by changing the wheels, it feels like the judder has changed, then I would assume it is this. Could be tyres. Last resort - change wheel(s)!

S3 D HY

Status
    yeh, its a buckled wheel, take the wheel off and look on round the inside of it, it'll have a few "flat spots" therefore its not round and will not be a smooth ride.....if you can remember going through a big pot hole, take a pic of it and fill out a claim form - send it to your local road service and request compensation.....either that or take it to an alloy wheel repair centre - they should be able to fix a buckle for under 50