Quattro or not?

pretty much everything, wide arches back and front, i think its different suspension for what its worth.... black piano trim inside, S3 clocks, S3 front and rear bumpers, silver mirrors (option), Steering wheel, even the windscreen is a different colour.... alloys, brakes, exhaust, engine, turbo, xenons.....there are a few more

not really an option to upgrade a 1.8TQ as you would spend more making an S3 than buying one and you would still never have the actual car

ahh right..... by luxuries i was thinking toys inside the car...aircon , cruise etc... not a great fan of the shiny black myself, i much prefer the satin black.... would be interested to know if the standard S3 brakes are an upgrade to the TQS ones though.. i thought they were the same... possible upgrade there as the S3 crowd quite often go the porshe route.. so there maybe some second hand sets floating about.... exhaust.. i've just fitted an S3 system to my car... bigger bore and a bit of a rasp to it around 3000 rpm that the standard system didn't have..

na i think most of the basics are there, obviously cruise was an option on both.... as are heated seats etc....

oh S3 has different engine covers haha

I have to agree with the front wheel drive boys here, i had one before the S3 and never regreted buying it over the quattro. Like said before the fwd drive is lighter and more nimble and with a remap at around 200+bhp and the suspension sorted would be great fun. The S3 is a different case, trying to put 250+bhp through the front wheels would be pointless and i wouldn't be without the quattro system, but from the point of an A3 1.8T i'd go for the fwd all day long.....i used to like being able to light up the front wheels sometimes, gives the feeling of power :)

What the S3 doesnt have over our TQS is 5 doors..............

Which is what we specically wanted and at 24 the GF was able to insure it for under £500 with 3 yrs ncb

One reason I went for the TQS as that I needed the easy-entry front seats to get little'un in the back easily. I found getting in the back of my mate's S3 a bit of a battle. I didn't go for the 5 door as I just don't like the look of it (sorry Byzan, just my own opinion! ). Add to that the (slightly) cheaper insurance costs and the ability to leave it in a dodgy car park without the feeling some jealous git would key it, and the deal was done.

everyone will defend what they have bought with their hard earned/ or the banks cash, if you didnt you'd look daft.... surely we can all see this theme here

and for the record both my 1.8T and my S3 were keyed in supermarket carpark/road side in quite well to do areas.....

I think you've hit the nail on the head there animal, by being on this forum we're naturally going to be very proud of our motors. :kissmyrings:

I think we can also agree that yobbos that key cars are scum of the world!!

yeah mate.... it happend so long ago so glad i didnt catch them as I really wouldnt be here now:aggressive: - think id end up torcturing the lil sh*ts on the road side:lmfao:

Totally agree with previous sentiments. We make our choices and it's nice to be able to confirm them. You just have to look at what you want out of your car which guides you to the right choice.

Having said, and perhaps a little off topic, I beat my friends chipped R34 skyline tonight in my little IHI'd A3. FWD can indeed be fun............and yes it's dry out tonight :) Childish, but put a smile on my face.

I do like Matt's quattro on here. Full Bill Brockbank treatment with a 3067r. That will be a real understated road rocket that'll put the power down when it's done.

2871 now mate. gt30 looked wayyyyyyy to laggy for a 1800
stil hoping for a 400bhp setup

my choice boiled down purely to money.. when i was looking S3's were a good couple of grand more than my TQS... insurance didn't bother me as you can spread that cost over 12 months.... a lot of the 1.8t sports i looked at seemed to have been owned by the younger end of the market and it showed... then along poped a mint TQS fully loaded and that was it for me... if i could have afforded an S3 it would have been another matter... still very pleased with what i've got though

2871 now mate. gt30 looked wayyyyyyy to laggy for a 1800
stil hoping for a 400bhp setup

Makes sense if you like low end torque.............even with equal length manifold and extra bore the 1.8T is peaky. Crazy how the 2.0TFSI can handle them with just a log mani. Those things must have really high volumetric efficiency......hey, be the first to fit one :) Even so, I would have thought gt30x wouldn't be undrivable with a low exhaust a/r?

bill took me out in his octy, with 2871. well quick and good spool! will make for a better car to drive i think