Badger5Chris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

Screech on start up

Hello guys, iv been having a few problems starting the car recently aswell as loosing water from the water pump which is getting to the point of 2 litres today. well im getting the water pump and cambelt done on sat but im also having probs with starting it. its been taking a long time to fire up and when it does it screeches for a second.
    i replaced the starter motor yesterday and that has literally fell apart inside so i fitted a new one and starting it up was perfect. it started after a second and was silent, i was chuffed as i now wouldnt have to sit in sainsburys petrol station with my car failing to start and screeching with everone looking at me.
    Well this morning the car is still starting perfectly but the screech has come back and i have no idea what this is?? could it be the clutch on its way out or what. its not a big issue but it is annoying.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi , i have the same annoying problem with my a3 1998 1.8t that 2sec screech sound on starting,but it alway starts 1st time.Was going to buy new starter motor but wasnt sure if that was the problem, i thought i was over cranking the engine by holding the ignition key to much, may be ignition switch on back of key barrel? like mike plymouth said its not that much of a big deal ,its everone looking at me.
    someone must of had the same problem and sorted it any idea are welcome .
    Vw Golf mk1 cabrio gti 8v sportline (Black) J reg
    Vw Corrado G60 8v (Black) J reg
    Audi A3 1.8T Sport Avantgarde Individual (Black) S reg
    Porsche 911 964 C4 3.6 cabrio (Black) H reg

5th Gear

Status
    the screeching is your starter motor sticking. its a common problem so you need to get a recon one.

1st Gear

Status
    yeah but mine is a brand new one, not even refurbished. so i doubt it is that.

1st Gear

Status
    could it be the clutch release bearing??? i do find it strange that it went away for a day then its came back again.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Its the air con compressor/belt/clutch whatever I cant remember 100% name lol but it is this, it goes away doesnt it, straight away after few seconds of starting, if you turn of the air con or on it then also disappears, its not a problem really as had on my 8L S3 for a long time & it never failed, the cam & water pump should be done asap as 2 litres a day is ridiculously dangerous interms of engine going

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    well today has been the fastest that it has been loosing water, im replacing the cambelt + kit with metal impellor water pump, water temp sensor and radiator and il prob change the themostat while everthing is out. its just a case of waiting til the weekend now tho.

1st Gear

Status
    oh, and mine is an a3 sport so it does not have air con
    Last edited by mike_plymouth; 11th January 2009 at 21:28.

6th Gear

Status
    auxcillary belt i read somewhere mine has the same problem from time to time only in the colder weather.
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

1st Gear

Status
    how would you stop it, i only chnaged this about 2months ago?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_plymouth View Post
    yeah but mine is a brand new one, not even refurbished. so i doubt it is that.
    yeah sorry, i was referring to C4SLK`s problem.

thats me

Status
    if yourr loosing that much water its probally getting on the aux belt causng it to slip and screech. If its new then it should stop when the pump and cam belt are done.
    red to red black to black blue to bits

1st Gear

Status
    hi, iv jus been outside and had a good listen and its deff coming from the starter/ gearbox/ flywheel area. as i said its a brand new starter but could it be faulty??
    the old one only did this 50/60 % of the time and that was knackered inside but this new one was silent yesterday but today everytime is start it up its screeching.
    Last edited by mike_plymouth; 11th January 2009 at 21:07.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Have you tried turning the aircon on/off when it starts making noise, just try it to humour me please as mine did it everytime aswell & turning aircon on/off resolved that & didnt go faulty at all

1st Gear

Status
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=im64B-pS2y8
    here is a video of the car starting up and the screech. sorry its dark outside. my car doesnt have air con only a sun roof. sorry.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Dry bush in the starter motor imo

1st Gear

Status
    sounds like the pin isn't pulling back fast enough and is getting caught. Could this happen?

5th Gear

Status
    sounds like the pin isn't pulling back fast enough and is getting caught. Could this happen?
    id take back that starter motor if its brand new and get them to test it m8. like i said, its common problem and its a starter motor issue

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    the startes in these are known for the bush at the end of the spindle to spin in the housing, i would be tempted to remove the new unit to double check this has not happened already

thats me

Status
    yup that sounds like the starter motor to me
    red to red black to black blue to bits

1st Gear

Status
    helo guys, thanks for all of your input. i took the starter out and took it back to GSF and fitted that one. Same thing happend, it was not as loud but still screeching so i went to a independent shop that refurbs starters and alternators. fitted that one and PERFECTION. and the best news is it was half the price at 60 Quid than the GSF model. Whoop. Thanks again

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Cool, result glad got it sorted out, funny cause mine was exactly like you said but only happened in conjunction with aircon, anyway who cares fixed, next, lol

1st Gear

Status
    bit of an epic next, jus had a cam, waterpump, thermostat, coolant sensor, radiator, petrol filter fitted last sat.
    Next sat im having ARB bushes, Droplinks, Strut top bearings and Bushes and Rear Brake Pads fitted.
    Im not sure if it would be worth fitting new wishbones too jus so its all done?

5th Gear

Status
    helo guys, thanks for all of your input. i took the starter out and took it back to GSF and fitted that one. Same thing happend, it was not as loud but still screeching so i went to a independent shop that refurbs starters and alternators. fitted that one and PERFECTION. and the best news is it was half the price at 60 Quid than the GSF model. Whoop. Thanks again

lol yeah i knew it would be the starter motor. no worries. glad its sorted :-)

1st Gear

Status
    Just got my car back from audi and this noise has started on mine, they replaced the engine speed sensor so i guessed it had something to do with that. But being the starter motor it probably is not anything to do with the work they did. Oh well more money to spend!