Remap on a 2002 1.8T Sport, is it worth doing?

TonyA3

Reaction score
Hello

I've had a read through some of the sticky threads about tuning/remapping etc, but the majorty seem to be about S3s.

Just wondering, is it worth the money getting an ECU remap for a 2002 1.8 T Sport? Its currently 150bhp, but i've read it can go up to around 190 and results in better fuel consumption too?

Has anyone had this done; and if so would you recommend it?

Cheers

Tony:blackrs4:

hey, i have had my A3 1.8t remapped and i can say that it is definatly worth the money:) Had mine done by custom code and with the discount they were offering at the time(may still be giving discount, but not sure) it worked out to be quite resonable. From wat i can remember off the top of my head it was about £240. mine is only a 2000 model and has the K03 turbo, but i think that yours will have the K03s as it is after 2001(need to check the engine code) so you will prob see slighly more power than i did from just a remap. is probably the best 'bang for buck' mod you can do. Is your car standard or modded? i havnt had my car on rollers yet so couldnt tell you figures, but def feels faster:racer:

Its not been modded at all, its just standard. I've had a look through loads of old posts on here, and been through countless pages of search engine results trying to find which one is best to get done etc, but don't know where to start :(

I've found these guys : http://www.more-bhp.com/a3/audi-a3-18t-20v-150-remap.html, they are near to me but don't know if they are offering a decent service or what for £175?

well different people will say different things, i personaly have only had experiance with custom code so couldnt compare. I can just say that i have had no problems with it after the map, just a big smile when i put my foot down. There are loads of companies that do remaps, but with your car being standard you will be best goin for a generic map as opposed to a custom one. they are designed to get the best out of the car with standard componants. I say go with custom code, but revo are also very popular. from what i have read revo is a more agressive map, and custoim code will give you the same over all power, but with a smoother delivery. It depends what you are looking for really...:blackrs4:

being a 2002 car, it's possible that your stage 1 map will take you over 200bhp, many ko3S cars make just over 200 with a stage 1 map.

the difference in the car will be night and day though, as the torque increase is FAR more noticable than the extra power, and the way the car drives is totally changed.

you will definately see improved MPG on cruising, and it'll be far quicker, as well as much more responsive.

I'd say you would be silly not to remap it!

what part of the country are you in?? both custom code and revo offer mobile services, with revo offering a short trial first to see if your happy with the results...

being a 2002 car, it's possible that your stage 1 map will take you over 200bhp, many ko3S cars make just over 200 with a stage 1 map.

the difference in the car will be night and day though, as the torque increase is FAR more noticable than the extra power, and the way the car drives is totally changed.

you will definately see improved MPG on cruising, and it'll be far quicker, as well as much more responsive.

I'd say you would be silly not to remap it!

:iagree:

what part of the country are you in?? both custom code and revo offer mobile services, with revo offering a short trial first to see if your happy with the results...

Im in the north west, in Warrington, would be willing to take it anyone in the north west if they couldnt come to me to do it. I'm after adding more power to what i've already got

a simple generic remap would be enough to be just over 200bhp and as Prawn stated, it will make a big noticeable difference.

a simple generic remap would be enough to be just over 200bhp and as Prawn stated, it will make a big noticeable difference.

Do you reckon someone like i mentioned earlier would be ok to go for then, as they are quoting £175 on their site, whereas some people say theirs has cost over £300?

I would think that you could get either Custom Code or Revo to come to you, just give them a call and see what they say. Im in the south west so not really sure what tuning places you have up that way...Definatly get it done tho, you wont regret it...:kissmyrings:

Im having a look at prices from custom code now, theres a place on the Wirral that does it, does around £350 sound right?

does sound about right, although i think they are offering a 30% discount if you take it in, and a 20% discount for mobile tuning, so will be bit cheaper than £350...which is good, lol...:)

I would think that you could get either Custom Code or Revo to come to you, just give them a call and see what they say. Im in the south west so not really sure what tuning places you have up that way...Definatly get it done tho, you wont regret it...:kissmyrings:

im from torquay. small world m8 as my specs are identical to yours :)

were did u get urs mapped from? i took mine to st agnus for it custom coded. its pushing 196bhp now ;-)

im from torquay. small world m8 as my specs are identical to yours :)

were did u get urs mapped from? i took mine to st agnus for it custom coded. its pushing 196bhp now ;-)

lol, sweet:respekt:. Took mine to TSR Performance in Bridgwater, then had a nice drive back to Bristol to enjoy the results:) havnt had mine on the rollers yet so dont know exectly what its putting out, but would hope its near the same as yours. what year is your car? mine is a 2000 AGU engine...

are these remaps on a handheld unit or does it have to be done live at a garage?

if its a generic map they plug a laptop in and upload the new map from that, so is very mobile, but if you want a custom map then that has to be done at a garage...

Been reading about this on various different sites/forums, and i've seen someone mention that it can affect brakes and traction control; is this true? Has anyone had any problems after having it done ?

havnt had any problem with brakes or nething else since the remap, only thing i can think of is that with the extra power the brakes will have to work harder to stop you, but other than that...:meeting:

I was close to booking it to get it done before i read about it messing with people's traction control, im going to see if i can find anyone else saying they had hte same issue before i make the decision.

Cheers GrahamPrice for your answers!

cool, no worries. keep us posted on this one tho, i would be interested to hear what you find, for future reference...:thumbsup:

Get it done TonyA3, you'll wonder what you were concerned about once its done....your love the difference, and as you have the Ko3s turbo it'll push out more than my old A3 did....which was a hoot !!:)

Can be a case of get what you pay for, better off with one of the more popular and reputable companies...

Can be a case of get what you pay for, better off with one of the more popular and reputable companies...

Normally they are £300, (i saw the price before xmas was at like £295, i thinkits just a sale in january), however i haven't seen anyone on here that has had anything other than CC or Revo done, so am thinking go with one of the them and pay the bit extra and make sure i have it done properly

as said earlier in the thread mate, I'd stick to the big names, the companies who have put thousands of pounds worth of R&D into their maps. Not some place with a name so obvious it's got to be dodgy.....

Also, I'd always be more inclined to get a map from a VAG tunner, rather than one of the many places around who offer generic maps for just about every car there is from an A3 turbo right through to a diesel transit!

Normally they are £300, (i saw the price before xmas was at like £295, i thinkits just a sale in january), however i haven't seen anyone on here that has had anything other than CC or Revo done, so am thinking go with one of the them and pay the bit extra and make sure i have it done properly

Exactly, don't really want to risk messing your car up for the sake £100-£200....as said awesome are near you who would be ideal...

lol, sweet:respekt:. Took mine to TSR Performance in Bridgwater, then had a nice drive back to Bristol to enjoy the results:) havnt had mine on the rollers yet so dont know exectly what its putting out, but would hope its near the same as yours. what year is your car? mine is a 2000 AGU engine...

mines a 1999 T m8ty. even now when i floor it i get a huge smile :) ya gotta love that turbo spooling up.