Front wipers - help!

S3_MCD

Reaction score
Dont laugh! I feel like a total prat having to post this question, but HOW THE FECK DO I GET THE FRONT WIPERS ARMS OFF!!!!!!!!!!!
..... they currently appear to be welded to the motor splines - any usefull advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

oh and b4 its said, yes i have removed the nuts, and tried beating the buggers with a hammer!

The wiper arms sit on splined tapers. Remove the nuts and rock the arms backwards and forwards, i.e pull towards engine bay, push towards windscreen and this should release them from the splines.

I've just changed mine, they're a complete sh!t to get off!

I used a small g-clamp, if you hook the bottom of the clamp behind the wiper arm and the hold the top on the spline and tighten the clamp they eventually come off.

Worked for me

Rich

I used the same method as Woody, got a pipe wrench, hooked one jaw under the base of the wiper blade, the other on top of the spline/bolt and SQUEEZED!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif (And cursed, then squeezed some more. Cursed some more. Left.... cursing. Came back....) and they popped right off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

It took me about 20 seconds to remove both wipers when I changed them over a month or so ago. I found that the pressure that they exert on the window means that they dont sit square on the spline, lifting the arm up a bit allowed it to line up and they slid off. No clamps, tools, swearing needed other than for getting the nut off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheers guys, invested in some WD40 aswell.
Will be giving it another go this evening /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OK, I have squirted liberally with WD40. I've had a strap under the arm and with my handy held pulling I've hit and hit and hit - guess what, nada, nothing, zip!!!

AGHHHH!

looks like I am gonna be cutting the BSTARDS off, less drastic solutions greatly accepted b4 the weekend.

How can changing wiper be this difficult - story of my modding life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cut both the buggers off (dremel), new wipers fitted
HURRAH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When I had my windscreen replaced, I noticed the guy slammed his hand down hard on the motor splines and then pulled the arms off straight away.....try that!