4 wheel laser allignment (tracking) advice needed A.S.A.P

scott_johnson

Reaction score
Hey all. My car went through its MOT yest and there was an advisory for the front wheels scrubbing slightly. Ive been told i need a 4 wheel laser allignment. I rang quickfit and another place but they said that might not solve my problem. Can anyone tell me where to go that will set the geometry up to a lowered cars spec and not audi manufacturers spec???

AFAIK the wheels need to be set the same regardless of if the cars lowered or not

Will the camber have to adjusted?? Im guessing its more camber than actual allignment?

well when i had my 1.8T which was totally standard there were only a handful of places in Sheffield that could align a car of that ride height... not tried the S3 yet but last place i used with old car was a garage in Chesterfield that charged me about £30 for full alignment with a brand new machine that had a big tree like thing at rthe front and like two branches with the lasers on, these shone onto some mirrors mounted on the wheels....i assume this is the correct equipment (not the tree)

anywhere can do a laser alignment for you set to what ever specs you ask them to its just wheter there competent enough to be able to be able to set it up to your specs or just to a pre loaded program especially for a standard vehicle, thats probably why quick fit wouldnt do it, and why would you even consider taking to such a place,

yeah i no the sort of equipment you mean 1animal1 i used to use that kit when i worked for vauxhall not as good as some of the newer stuff out there now though

Has the car been lowered ?
By how much?
The front camber is adjustable but once you pass a point the amount of adjustment isnt enough to reset the camber to factory spec. I run "some " camber up front as it seems to aid the handeling when being pushed into corners.
The adjustment is to be found in the way of loosening the bottom ball joint to wish bone? bolts 3 per side. the holes are slotted so there is some adjustment there. Ive used JBS, and hawleys of hilsbro for this in the past. both can set up to whatever spec is possible on the car.
Is it on both tyres?

www.alignmycar.co.uk

Will find your nearest place with a Hunter Machine.

Hunter machines have no issues setting whatever you like on lowered cars and they use little satellite dishes attached to the wheels for accurate reading. And Lasers.

Worth doing, should be around £60.

They use acualt satalite dish's?
hows that work then?
I understand the laser alignment and how a digital camber gauge works but... this i wanna see

paul they just look like satalite dishes lol there not actually satalites:haha:

I know i know... was just thinking from the "matter of fact " style post .
My front tyres do scrub slightly on the inside edge but thats a trade off between whai i feel the set up im running gives me and the price of tyres.
a pair of fronts about every 12/14 months if the car does its usual... 3 trips to newquay and a couple of track days...
Im happy

Wow!! £92! I think we should start charging more :D

Thanks for the mention Paul :)

We offer tracking and camber, if its part of the VAG group we can do it! Adjustments are always set within manufactures limits and we always carry out a pre-inspection to ensure there is nothing damaged that could be causing the problem.

Also, if not already fitted - It might be worth while getting the adjustable rear tie bars not only for the adjustment but if the car is lowered by a fair bit it will stop any possiblities of them breaking.

We can offer the KW rear tie bars for - £257.16 supplied or £366.41 fitted with tracking and camber adjustments.

As regards to the tracking we offer this service at £57.50inc VAT

If you have any questions please feel free to ask or call!

Mike