Power steering Leak.

V.I.P_UAE

Reaction score
Evening Chaps !

Wonder if someone can help me out to diagnose where this fault is.

I had a whine from the power steering which got progressively worse as the week went on, I thought it was a tired pump, I checked the fluid last night and it was very low so I topped up and the whine stopped totally. I was happy at this point thinking it was just low, However this morning on my way to work I stopped at the traffic lights and there was white smoke coming from the bonnet, I pulled over and looked at the engine and it seemed to be coming from the manifold,turbo area. It stopped so I carried on my way. On the way home tonight power steering started whining again and now there is no fluid again :(..

Does this sound like a leak on the rack, or could it be a leaky pipe behind the manifold?? is there even a pipe behind the manifold?

This is one hell of a first weeks ownership with this car I tell you, its knackered!! I bought it privately so I cant take it back, bought it sold as seen.

Forgot to mention its a S3 2001. Where would it be leaking steering fluid onto the manifold*Turbo from??

Really need some help on this from someone who knows the S3

guys can anyone help me on this?? does the steering fluid pipes run along the panel above the manifold or turbo? or is the rack there?

iirc the pipes do run above the turbo, but the rack could be leaking onto the downpipe or the cat lower down

the rack went on my old S3, it was whining and leaking alot

racks are very expensive (circa £550 + fitting)
managed to get one off ebay from fourringsspares - ebay shop who sell audi bits, for about £120 brand new! then got my local garage to fit it for £80

VERY IMPORTANT you get the correct one for an S3 as there are variations between A3/S3 and some TT models so dont assume they all fit!
Think its to do with whether or not its for a Quattro model as the subframe mountings are different

make sure you are using the proper VAG steering fluid (must be green) or you will damage the seals.

iirc the pipes do run above the turbo, but the rack could be leaking onto the downpipe or the cat lower down

the rack went on my old S3, it was whining and leaking alot

racks are very expensive (circa £550 + fitting)
managed to get one off ebay from fourringsspares - ebay shop who sell audi bits, for about £120 brand new! then got my local garage to fit it for £80

VERY IMPORTANT you get the correct one for an S3 as there are variations between A3/S3 and some TT models so dont assume they all fit!
Think its to do with whether or not its for a Quattro model as the subframe mountings are different

make sure you are using the proper VAG steering fluid (must be green) or you will damage the seals.

Thank you very much, Ashs3. That is very very usefull info :yes: How do you suggest I look for the leaK? should I just fill it up and see where it leaks from underneath near the manifold/cat?
Thanks for your help

Best thing i found was to jet wash (carefully) down the back of the engine, to get all the crap and oil off.
Then fill the reservoir back up, take it for a drive and get under the car.
I found mine was leaking through a worn seal on the end of the rack. It was easy to spot once it had been cleaned.

Hope this helps

Ash

Thanks Ash, you have been ever so helpful.:yes:

I am going to send the rack to england, they will recon it for 229 pounds.

Audi here in Dubai have quoted me 6400AED which is 1300 pounds for the rack only without fitting, what a rip off.

Did yours leak onto the exhaust also??