Windscreen chip!!

speedyp

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good company that does repairs to windscreen chips???

Last night gentle cruising down the motorway, a car goes past in the outside lane & kicks up, what I can only describe as, a rock! It landed about 3 inches up from the wipers in the middle of the screen with a very loud bang!!

I now have about a 10mm diameter chip which I think is repairable rather than needing a new screen.

Any good experiances of companies you could recommend??

Thanks

I used AutoGlass........but had to have a new screen as it cracked after a frosty night from the stone chip.

Good job done too!

[ QUOTE ]
PeterS3 said:
Does anyone know of a good company that does repairs to windscreen chips???

[/ QUOTE ]

What ever you do, DON'T use Nationwide Autoglazing, I had an abosolute nightmare with them recently, and neither the HQ or branch did anything to resolve the situation. One day I'll write a full account of problem, but meanwhile stay well clear.

....also RAC replacement windscreens have RAC stamped on them, but my AutoGlass one looks like OEM with no advertising

I think you can also get a kit from Halfords so you could have a go yourself!

I had a similar unlucky incident and was about to pay £50.00 excess and claim for a new one!!

Save messing about, wouldnt this be an easier option?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

if u get it replaced make sure that the plastic guttering at the bottom is fitted correctly, as are the gutterings on each side ... when Audi replaced mine they didnt fit it correctly; took it back to be redone, basically had to break screen to correct errors and refit new one - nightmare!

I'm insured with direct line and chips get repaired by AutoGlass for free, without any no-cliams bonus effects or anything. Normally AutoGlass charge 65 pounds I think.
It was very good service and a good job too.

If it needed a new screen then I would have had to pay excess but I can't remember if it affects ncb. Their website will tell you. www.autoglass.co.uk

I just read something on the AA website too: about 30% off glass replacement for members (as long as you're not claiming on insurance, etc.) see here:
http://www.theaa.com/services/member_benefits/autoglass.html

I was charged £50 by AutoGlass and service was great and it does not affect the NCB

I got mine done by RAC windscreens free of charge from my insurance policy (elephant) as when I bought the car the windscreen was chipped.

Might be a daft question but I always thought they improved the state of the crack/chip when they repaired it?

It just seems to have "plugged the gap" ie so it does not spread and looks the same before repair..

For 50 quid on your insurance i would get a new screen. You'll be amazed how much better a new screen is. Nice and clean without any slight chip's.

BUT!!!

Just be careful and make sure you watch them taking it out, keep an eye on your headlining making sure they don't cut through it.

RAC Windscreens managed to slice my headlining on my last S3. I was on my way down to offer the guy a cup of tea when i saw him slice the headlining, i went upstairs and nearly cried, and was going mad. So i decided to go down and confront him, when I got back down he'd sprayed the headlining with an aerosol can to hide the exposed foam beneath. I done my [censored] nut. Told him to take the screen out and call his boss to come down and inspect the damage.

It took over two months before it was all sorted out. Aswell as all that he'd left his stanley blade fully open on my leather seat, which i could not believe, he also managed to cover my both door mirrors in that black rubber mastic.

The annoying this was that when i called up to arrange for it to be replaced the guy on the phone said "seeing as it an Audi i'll send my most experienced fitter down" i'd dread to think what the others were like.

When i approached the bloke about the damage i thought he was going to knock me out. He kept saying you wont see the tear. I kept disagreeing saying it's not the ****** point. He was very intimidating too but i knew he was in the wrong and was beginning to realise his mistake, he also knew that i ain't a MUG.

In the end they had to call trimline out to repair the damage and in the process put 3 new screens in the car. Major nightmare. I had to record my conversations with the reginal managers to get it all sorted out making sure they would replace the headlining if i was not satisfied with the repair work.

Be warned...

Top advice!

Sounds like you had a nightmare experiance.

When i get mine changed i will be watchinhg like a hawk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What screen will they out back in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well, I phoned my insurance company at 11:40am, by 12:00 there was an RAC windscreen van outside!! Repaired to almost perfection...(only the slightest of marks visible on very close inspection!! ).... free of charge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

After a quick clean of the screen before he left, looks almost as good as new!!

Top marks!

There are a few misconceptions on windscreen chip repair, the biggest and most common is heat.

Heat should only be applied to dry out the break, and once it has been rid of moisture (and any other contaminants) it must then be cooled down. This process of heating and subsequently cooling must be done before any resin is introduced, never during, or after.

The Autoglass repair kit is a semi automated vacuum pump system. I've used it. As a matter of fact I used it for about six years. It won't repair every type of damage, and what Autoglass do not say is that there are chips which they will not repair or deem as "not repairable". This could be that the damage is too close to the edge, or that it is too close to another chip. In their adverts they suggest that there is never a good time to be driving your car with a chipped windscreen. Cold/icy weather + heater on + pothole = crack, etc and in the hotter temperatures they suggest that hot weather and you having your AC on will also mean your chip might turn into a nasty crack and ruin your life (because all chips eventually crack... NO, they don't!). It's funny because we used to dread repairing in the hot weather because the crack-off (failure) rate increased dramatically. And what was the advice/tip they gave us? Get the car into the shade... and turn the AC on!!

A bit more about the subject of windscreen repair here.

Last edited by a moderator: