cmabelt service costs/milage?

phil8807

Reaction score
hi guys,i have a 2002 a3 1.8t quattro it has always been on the long life service plan and is due service soon,i know it needs haldex oil/filter and brake fluid change doing but looking through the service book the cambelt recommendation seems to be 115k,my car is just over 90k but has developed a bit of a whine from the general drive belts area of the engine over the last few weeks and i think this may be coming from one of the belts/tensioners although the condition of the belts looks good to the eye.can any one advise if 115k is right for first belt change as this seems high?also what should i be looking to pay for a longlife service+haldex+brake fluid change and does any one know how much cambelt change is from dealer!i guess ineed to be sitting down for that one but car has full dealer history and i intend to sell it in the summer and get an s3.Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated im new to the site and getting a bit addicted! thanks

Are you saying its on 115k withouth a cambelt service?BLIMEY i would get it done asap fella, dealer does say 80k/5 years but alot of the lads tend to change it round the 60k mark.

I had the S3s done cost me £330 including parts, make sure you also have the water pump changed.

I'd say get it done asap. Thought updated recs for 1.8T engines were 60K or 5 years - whichever comes sooner. Regardless, wouldn't risk it. Also wouldn't be bothered with a dealer stamp as that really isn't going to affect the value much at all. Save yourself a couple of hundred quid or more and get the work done at a reputable independent.

no,its just done 90k mate but full audi main dealer history,looking through the service book under additional work it lists the milage as 115k for cambelt change on 4cyl 1.8t petrol engine but i think i will get it done for peace of mind,cheers

i think that seems like the best way to go,thanks for your reply

you got me thinking bout my s3 which i havent had long, so just checked through all my history i got with it and mine got done at 81000miles thank god!!!!!! :yahoo:

thats one thing i never checked when buying it!!!

Hi mate, i had mine done when i picked the car up, it was coming up 80,000, well 77 i had it done, i thinj its ranges from 300-400 for cambelt tensioners waterpump etc, i had full service including brakes, haldex cambelt etc and i think i paid not far off £700 from (4 rings) who i was recommended,

they were very very good and helpful,and would recomend them to anyone and they come to you, tell you what parts are wearing check for faults etc. seems alot but nothing compared to what Audi would charge, i amsure its 80,000 i think it says in the service manual, Oski

mine has only done 43,000 but i am thinking of doing it soon as its a 2001 car,would take me another 10 years to rack up the miles! Do you guys usually do the water pump at the same time?

Yep water pump is always recommended although garages dont always do it as standard when doing the cambelt. Worth doing as age does deteriorate the belts too.

A decent independent garage will probably get cambelt and tentioners fitted down to approx £250 + waterpump. Its worth shopping around for a few quotes.

Get it done ASAP, i got my car on 60k i think and had it done the next day i got it, it has been recommended to be done sooner than noted in the handbook.

Mine cost me £270 to get the cambelt, waterpump and fanbelt done, parts and labour from Midland VW.

Defo worth spending that and getting it done, then having to deal with a snapped cambelt!!!

Oh and make sure you get the waterpump done as well, its not done as standard so make sure you ask for it, to get it done alone will cost you alot in labour as its a mission to get to, so while its all out might as well get it done, again piece of mind and all that.....

Good luck

I've just priced it all up for mine today, and the genuine INA cambelt kit, metal impellor water pump, and new aux belt comes to £101 from GSF inc VAT. The guy who does all my work for me just quoted me £80 to do the cambelt, as well as change the aircon compressor which I'm supplying.