Help... No Headlights !!!!

V.I.P_UAE

Reaction score
Evening Chaps !!

After picking up my Audi S3 late 00 Early 01 model today , and the Girlfreind told me they work grrr, I have found that I have no headlights, she seemed to think sidelight = headlight....:keule:The bulbs seem to be fine.

Also when im driving very slow round there is a whine, what sounds like tired powersteering only when sat on the spot turning the steering wheel or driving over 30 its quite?? I thought the power steering would whine when stationary which it dosent.. everything else seems fine.,

ill post some pics up in a couple of days when I get the matt black "fast and fourious" bonet and roof painted silver again

Oh and one last thing how much do you guys pay for a 4 rings badge on grill from dealer?? and are they hard to remove? That is also Matt Black and I would like Silver.

Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

Reposted in correct section now.

Nice Forum BTW..

welcome to the forum mate

Is it both your dipped beam & main beams that are not working? - if so I'd check the fuse first (there's a fuse layout diagram in the handbook if my memory's correct). it'll be a lot cheaper than two new xenon headlights

I'm not sure about the whine noise you mention - have you checked the power steering fluid's ok?

as for the badge i think they will brobably cost a bit from a dealer maybe 30 quid or so (i'm not sure) but you can probably find them cheaper on vagparts

good luck & get some pics up of your new car

Mike

welcome to the forum mate

Is it both your dipped beam & main beams that are not working? - if so I'd check the fuse first (there's a fuse layout diagram in the handbook if my memory's correct). it'll be a lot cheaper than two new xenon headlights

I'm not sure about the whine noise you mention - have you checked the power steering fluid's ok?

as for the badge i think they will brobably cost a bit from a dealer maybe 30 quid or so (i'm not sure) but you can probably find them cheaper on vagparts

good luck & get some pics up of your new car

Mike

Thanks mike Ill check the fuse, any idea where the fuse box is?, im a total audi novice and would mine have xenons? It has the aluminium Wingmirrors and armrest and bose system, from my research this hould have xenon lights but i dont think it has? how would i know?

Sorry for my such lack of knowlege on this car, only had it hours!

Hey dude, all S3's come with Xenon as standard, so the car will defo have them on.

Let us know how you get on.....

Thanks mike Ill check the fuse, any idea where the fuse box is?, im a total audi novice and would mine have xenons? It has the aluminium Wingmirrors and armrest and bose system, from my research this hould have xenon lights but i dont think it has? how would i know?

Sorry for my such lack of knowlege on this car, only had it hours!

not a problem - the fuse box is located on the drivers side part of the dash as you open the door, you'll see a rounded off triangular plastic cover on the end of the dash & it's behind this (the cover is held in place with three small metal clips so it should pop off farily easily)

and as nilx posted above, - all S3's will have xenons

Thanks guys, wicked forum... Will try this!!

These problems im having have kinda took the shine off the honeymood period with the car.. Still, very nice car tho..

not a problem - the fuse box is located on the drivers side part of the dash as you open the door, you'll see a rounded off triangular plastic cover on the end of the dash & it's behind this (the cover is held in place with three small metal clips so it should pop off farily easily)

and as nilx posted above, - all S3's will have xenons

I've just checked all the fuses and they are all good, upon really close inspection I've found there is a few total bodge jobs with the headlights and front end, it looks like it has had a very very light knock on the front and what they have done is repainted the bumper and taken out the headlight washers, (i didnt realise it had them until I saw the wires) and simply filled the holes (which you can see if you look very carefully) and then re-painted the bumper.

The headlights are a disaster, they are pointing down slightly loose and the brackets look snapped and distorted , the indicators just dont seen to be flush with the headlights at all , or the bodywork and then on the seam of the headlights they look like they have been split and then sealed with some kind of glue, its a mess...

Ganna get some pics up 2mora and see what you guys think.. I ve been a S3 owner a matter of hours lol

Im thinking just try to get them working for now and then replace the whole bumper, lights and indicators with new?
Looks like I bought me a lemon :blush:

I've just checked all the fuses and they are all good, upon really close inspection I've found there is a few total bodge jobs with the headlights and front end, it looks like it has had a very very light knock on the front and what they have done is repainted the bumper and taken out the headlight washers, (i didnt realise it had them until I saw the wires) and simply filled the holes (which you can see if you look very carefully) and then re-painted the bumper.

The headlights are a disaster, they are pointing down slightly loose and the brackets look snapped and distorted , the indicators just dont seen to be flush with the headlights at all , or the bodywork and then on the seam of the headlights they look like they have been split and then sealed with some kind of glue, its a mess...

Ganna get some pics up 2mora and see what you guys think.. I ve been a S3 owner a matter of hours lol

Im thinking just try to get them working for now and then replace the whole bumper, lights and indicators with new?
Looks like I bought me a lemon :blush:

Can you not take it back to the garage who sold it to you?

facelift xenons are very expensive to buy new (I believe they are in the region of 600 each from audi dealers) although you would be able to get them cheaper from a breakers or ebay etc.

shiiiiit.....feel sorry for ya VIP...welcome to the forum though fella... you'll get all the help you need here if you end up doing it yourself

Can you not take it back to the garage who sold it to you?

facelift xenons are very expensive to buy new (I believe they are in the region of 600 each from audi dealers) although you would be able to get them cheaper from a breakers or ebay etc.[/quote

Can't take it back it was private sale sold as seen, my mistake for not looking at everything properly. oh well just have to crack on and sort it out, maybe get a new bumper and lights to make it perfect again.

Another thing I wandered if you guys could help me with, how do I change the date and time on the dash? its saying 1999 on the date display, pressed all the buttons on the left stalk but nothing is happening?? And also, where is the power steering fluid top up? can't seem to find it...

Thanks for the help guys, this is a really helpfull and imformative forrum, ,helps a lot :thumbsup:

whens the mot mate u are gonna need the headlight washers to pass an mot.

whens the mot mate u are gonna need the headlight washers to pass an mot.

I live in Dubai mate so that won't be a problem, no MOT here...

anyone know how do I change the date and time on the dash? its saying 1999 on the date display, pressed all the buttons on the left stalk but nothing is happening?? And also, where is the power steering fluid top up? can't seem to find it...

cheers:)

I live in Dubai mate so that won't be a problem, no MOT here...

anyone know how do I change the date and time on the dash? its saying 1999 on the date display, pressed all the buttons on the left stalk but nothing is happening?? And also, where is the power steering fluid top up? can't seem to find it...

cheers:)

I think you pull the right knob under the rev counter to set the time, date etc