Tyre Advise

S3mad

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Hi all ,

im thinking of replacing my tyres soon and wondered do i have to change all 4 tyres ? . As if i dont will this affect my gearbox ?

it says in the book to change thefront to back so they wear evenly..... although it wont affect your gearbox if you dont change all 4 at once

wont this happen tho ??

certain vehicles result in "wind-up" of the 4WD system differential causing serious damage?

Never ever heard this being a problem at all. No affect on the gearbox.

Would say changing 2 fronts or 2 rears at the same time is recommended but tbh i wouldnt bother if one is VGC.

I reckon 2 fronts or 2 backs, not all 4 **** that!!!!! 2 much £££ for no reason.

True ,

i might just get 4 but not just yet dont wanna keep wasting money ....

True ,

i might just get 4 but not just yet dont wanna keep wasting money ....

I think this depends upon your 4 wheel drive system. My S3 drives the front 2 wheels normally and then puts power to the rear when the fronts slip, so it's not permanent 4 wheel and so you can change 2 at a time. Recommendation would be that the new tyres go on the rear.

My wife's TT is permanent 4 wheel drive and there is a mm limit difference between front and rears that means she generally needs to replace all 4 at the same time.

Roy.

Yes ,

I think thats is right for all s3's ?

I think this depends upon your 4 wheel drive system. My S3 drives the front 2 wheels normally and then puts power to the rear when the fronts slip, so it's not permanent 4 wheel and so you can change 2 at a time. Recommendation would be that the new tyres go on the rear.

My wife's TT is permanent 4 wheel drive and there is a mm limit difference between front and rears that means she generally needs to replace all 4 at the same time.

Roy.

The mk1 TT definitely has the same haldex 4wd system as the S3. My mates one had to have new tyres theother week because he had a nail in 1 of the rears and the guy in the tyre place said you will need to replace both the rears, not all 4.

Just check in the S3 owners manual it tells you in there.

thought it had, the haldex system is used on all TT's and S3's, permanent 4x4 is only on A4's and above from my knowledge.....