Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    2nd Gear

Status

Alloy Wheel Measurments? im prob being stupid!

When an alloy wheel says 8.5 x 18, what does the 8.5 measurment mean?

i just cant think what it could be?

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status

Re: Alloy Wheel Measurments? im prob being stupid!

Width

2nd Gear

Status

i thought the width was the 225 (225/40/18 width/height/size) ???? but the outside of the wheel it says 8.5x18

Neutral

Status

8.5 defintely means width of the tyre

Neutral

Status

8.5 is the width of the wheel. So for an 8.5x18 wheel, it's 18" diameter, and 8.5" wide. The other figures are for the tyres, for example, 225/45/18 relates to:

225 = Width
    45 = The profile/depth
    18 = Size of rim that you've got

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

oh right, thanks for that! i get it now!

il take the blonde wig off!!

Neutral

Status

Don't apologise mate!

Many years ago I had a barney with the manager of the local Kwik-Fit. He was adamant that the 225 part of the tyre size related to the depth, and the profile the width! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

How he had a job I'll never know.......

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    X50JAS said:
    Don't apologise mate!

Many years ago I had a barney with the manager of the local Kwik-Fit. He was adamant that the 225 part of the tyre size related to the depth, and the profile the width! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he was correct as the tyre depth (Known as sidewall height %) is a percentage of the width, so suggest you go and appologise fella [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It's not that 45 = 4.5 cm or anything like that at all.

Just to clarify that the example of 8.5x18 is related only to the wheel as onto this a number of tyre widths can be used, normally with a tyre type covering rim sizes over a 1.5" to 2" range typically. The rim where possible should always be smaller than the tyre to be fitted.

These are the facts, and would think that if you do a search on the internet you'll pull up some nice papers written on the subject along with tyre size calculators and pictures to further satisfy your needs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    X50JAS said:
    Don't apologise mate!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he was correct as the tyre depth (Known as sidewall height %) is a percentage of the width, so suggest you go and appologise fella [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It's not that 45 = 4.5 cm or anything like that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, thats what he said... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Neutral

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Gambba said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    X50JAS said:
    Don't apologise mate!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify that the example of 8.5x18 is related only to the wheel as onto this a number of tyre widths can be used, normally with a tyre type covering rim sizes over a 1.5" to 2" range typically. The rim where possible should always be smaller than the tyre to be fitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right Gambba, now I've read my post again it could get mis-understood! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] What you've said it what I meant. Kwik-Fit guy said the opposite (if you get my drift).

Ah bugger it, he f**ked my wheel anyway, so even if he had been right, he still deserved the grief!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:
    Dude, thats what he said... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmmmm nope...please read again..slowly.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

The Kwik fit manager was painted in a very good light and made out to sound like he actually knew what he was talking about.....which was obviously not the case, and knowing kwik fit will never be!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]