fuel

peakey

Reaction score
Doing a Birmingham to Scotland run in Feb and im guesing its gonna cost me a small fortune.

Was wondering thos who do long runs in there s3s what the best speed to stick to on the motorways to get the best fuel cons.

I was also wondering (As iv never done it) how much to fill the tank empty to full

i think 3 tanks should do me on a round trip to lock lomond and back:scared2:

I average about 70mph up to Dundee from london, and I will fill her up twice. Once just past Manchester (usually two thirds empty), and once again after the borders (again it is usually about half empty)...So on average I will use about a tank and a half for a 440 mile trip. It is best to leave about 3 in the morning (past Brum by 5, past Manch by 6:30 and get a nice wee sunrise over the borders to welcome me home) Magic!

I often do Dartford to Manchester in the A3. 70-75mph in 5th gear is the best to get there in good time and fuel economy. about a tank and a half round trip

If you are not bothered about time, then 50mph in 5th/6th would make the best fuel economy. I've experienced it on the M1 6a-10 junctions where there are those average speed cameras (50mph)

I averaged 55mph on the way to Cornwall from London (About 300 miles) and averaged aroung 50mpg on a petrol 1.8 sport!

I do the Aberdeen- Carlisle run once or twice a month (550 mile round trip). I can get there and back on 2 tanks of fuel averaging around 33MPG. 300 miles per tank, roughly. I don't go light on the right foot. Of course I stick to the 70MPH speed limit. *Cough* 85 *Cough*

When the roads are busy I stick to the speed limit, 70 and I get slightly above 33MPG. I've put the foot down a little more when the motorways have been empty and managed about 30-31 avg. Two tanks of fuel and that's actually going slightly further than Carlisle and back, plus careful running around when I'm down there.

2 tanks at roughly £45-50 each. About £100 providing you're only doing the run there and back. Maybe another tank if you're staying up there and going about.

Oh, and I'm driving an S3.

When I go from Oxford to Kendal, as I did last Monday night. I set the cruise to 70mph, and get 40-41mpg >500m off a tank.

Cheers,

If fuel consumption is a priority for your trip, then do it with the CC on Economy mode and stick to 70ish most of the way would be your best bet! Of course 56mph would probably be better for fuel economy, but I would risk the few mpg difference to get there quicker. lol

The tank is 62 litres on the S3, or just over 13.5 gallons. Most I've had was just over 500 miles from one tank of optimax. That was driving Oxford - Guilford - Lincoln - Durham a couple of years back averaging about 70 mph. On a normal run Guildford - Durham going around 75mph I can get about 420 - 430 miles with a gallon or so to go in the tank.

I can get 380 miles out of a full tank, (and thats not taking it too easy) If i do a running from Ayr to aberdeen and back its a 420 mile round trip. £54 to fill up the tank with optimax and usually fill it up just before i get home again. Thats with the a stage 1 remap.

Hope that helps mate :readit: