Brakes and standard wheels?

icecavern

Reaction score
Website
www.icecavern.com
Hi guys, newbie here so be gentle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Tried serching but couldn't find the answers I need.

Right my question is... I currently have a Leon Cupra R and due to SEAT and their dealers I'm looking at changing for something else. An S3 is one option, and it has everything my Leon has except Brembos and 18's. The 18's aren't a big issue but the brakes are.

So...

I'd want either brembos or an equivalent, most likely the GT kit since it's not too pricey. But do these fit under the standard 17's or even the 18" RSTT style wheels that were an option?

I guess the other one is if I got one of the new 3.2 V6 A3s would the same brake kit fit under the standard wheels as well?

Cheers

Pete

The Brembo Gran Tourismo brakes will fit with 17" wheels, although you may need to run a spacer to accomodate the larger caliper.

some more brake info:

the 3.2 audi/tt brakes/golf r32 are 332mm and fit under the 18" rstt wheels easily so anything less usually fits

brembo kit fits under 17" wheels as does the porsche 322mm 993tt kit.

But do you need spacers or anything to clear the calipers? I only ask because the brembos on the LCR are so big that there's very few wheels that will fit over them.

Cheers

Pete

The standard 17's on the S3 will clear the GT brake kit no problem, but the 18" RS TT alloys dont and you need spacers.

Mark

I have the Brembo GT kit fitted to my S3 and had some worries about brake caliper clearance, and thats running 19" wheels. There is no more that 5mm clearance from my Brembo calipers and alloy wheel spokes, without the use of wheel spacers, so agreed that the size of the wheel is not the issue, but amount of clearance the alloys you have can provide. I would think you need spacers on standard S3 avus wheels, but not on the 18" RS4 wheels.

[ QUOTE ]
NWMark said:
The standard 17's on the S3 will clear the GT brake kit no problem, but the 18" RS TT alloys dont and you need spacers.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew someone would correct me before my post even got onto the site. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
some more brake info:

the 3.2 audi/tt brakes/golf r32 are 332mm and fit under the 18" rstt wheels easily so anything less usually fits

[/ QUOTE ]

is the stud patton the same golf r32 audi s3?

[ QUOTE ]
peteTDI said:
[ QUOTE ]
dunk said:
some more brake info:

[/ QUOTE ]

is the stud patton the same golf r32 audi s3?

[/ QUOTE ]
All Mk4 Golfs are PCD 5x100.

Thanks for the info guys. I know the Audi TT 6 spokes fit over the Leon R brembos so figured the S3 ones would too. I had the 18" RSTT's but had to sell them when I got the R because they wouldn't fit.

I've seen a few 2yo S3's at about 18k, fontain seem to get them in reguarly. I might have to take a look. Unfortunatley as much as I would love a new A3 3.2 I think it's out of my price range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cheers guys

Pete