N75J and Coilpacks??

Tastyterrier

Monkey Trainer
Reaction score
I recently had a coilpack die on me and as I had two others that were original to the car, I decided on replacing all three.

After this I found the car started to stutter when it's been ragged for a while. Every so often it also wouldn't let me rev past 3000rpm, which I guess is it going into limp mode.

After trying a few different things (throttle body clean, check for air leaks etc), I replaced the N75J valve with the original and it seems to have cured the issue. I've been running the J valve for a while now with no issues, so it seems strange that a coilpack change should cause these problems. With the original valve back on, my car doesn't feel nearly so reponsive:3sadwalk:

Before I stick this J valve in the classifieds, is there anything else I should look at? I running Bosch Super4 plugs, should I try changing these to something else, would it make a difference?

i think the coil packs going has some effect on the sparks, i personally would just take the existing ones out and clean them up before spending anymore money mate....

I've just been on a longer run and the problem is still there. It's definately not going into Limp Mode, just mis-firing. I'll try cleaning the plugs and see how I get on.

Plugs have been cleaned and torqued down but the problem is still there :confused:

The next stage I guess is to get the codes read.

No, it's not the cause of the fault and (when the car isn't misfiring like me after the friday night curry) it keeps a smile on my face :)

cleaning the plugs will not fix a faulty plug and if you have changed the coils it is likely that at least one plug has failed, the fault codes will probably be of no help as they will more then likely be missfire codes but you already no that, id do the plugs first if you have no acess to checking codes as it will mean a paying trip to a garage when the plugs may solve the problem and they are a servicable item anyway so your not going to losse anyway

Yeah, as I had changed the other one a few weeks earlier.

Any recommendations on the plugs? NGKs seem to be the spark of choice around here, which type do people prefer?

well ive just gone for standard Audi plugs, heard nothing bad about them at all so dont really see a reason to change...unless someone wants to tell me a dear set of whateva's will give me extra umph?

ngk are standard audi plugs in my s3

I was reading on another forum of a guy who had a simular problem as this, he has also changed everything and at the end it was he ignition module that sits on the side of your airbox with two plugs going into it on either side of the module. But these were only on the drive by cable A3's, so if yours is, then maybe test it by swapping out with a friend or some one. If it is that, the price is a bit expensive. In South-Africa these parts were common failure's on the older drive by cable A3's. Hope this helps :icon_thumright:

Many thanks for all the tips:icon_thumright:, it turned out that one of the new coil packs was in fact faulty!

I've also stuck standard NGKs in there and they seem to run great.

Cheers guys!

is it runnung fine now with the J-valve??

Thanks, I'm running one now u see so just making sure it wasn't that giving you issues.

fran how is your car running now with the new j valve on compared to with before?