Strange engine revs issue? And another thing too....

JJBS3

Reaction score
Hey Guys, hope everyone has enjoyed the festivities.....ANyway

Hate having to call on the experts so soon after joining up, but .....

Since having a new clutch pedal and master cylinder fitted a few weeks back, my 1999 S3 hasnt been running right...
Apart from the 'damaged,cut, and sleeved' brake servo vacuum hose that almost caused a ditch-car 'interface' when I lost brakes, ...

whenever I dip the clutch to change gear, the revs surge momentarily- as though I still have my foot on the accelerator....anyone have any thoughts about this? Didnt do this before the clutch pedal work was done but have no idea if they are linked...

Also, I have bought the new vacuum hoses from Audi, but before I rip off the old hoses, there is a form of connector between the hose from the inlet manifold, and the hose to the servo, but I can't see how to 'disconnect' it?
The new hoses dont include this so dont want to knacker it.

Will post a pic tomorrow if it will help anyone...

Cheers in anticipation
J

Wow, 43 views and no replies....oh well

Have sorted the vacuum hoses issue now, but the revs issue still exists....

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks Rav, I havent heard of a clutch switch before? Where is it located....and what does it 'switch'?

Sorry to sound dumb!

Yup its your clutch switch, i had the same problem after replacing my pedal that broke, u will have to do an adjustment on it. If i recall correctly u must push in the clutch to the floor and then pull out the adjuster on the switch to almost maximum, then release the clutch and it will adjust the switch to the point where it should be

Brilliant, Thanks for that Typhoon! Will see what the score is in the morning! Seems everyone knew about this switch but me! LOL

No problem! We all learn like this, i was just as confused the time it did it to me. Had to phone a Audi Techi to explain me what to do and then only i got it rite :blush:

i had the sme problems on my s3 aswell mate, clutch switch definately sorted my prob out. hopefully will sort yours out too bud.

Right ok then, looking at elsawin, I should be able to see the clutch switch on the pedal bracket, in one of the 2 circular holes, is that right?? Cos neither of them have anything in them???
Am I getting confused here or what?

Good luck mate, yeah best to do a search. That's the way we learn about our cars....!!! lol

Yeah I have always looked after my own motors, often regretting having started a job when the spanner snaps or similar, but in this case...

I am looking at the workshop manual, and it would appear that the clutch pedal switch mounts in the hole in the pedal bracket?
HOWEVER, on the car...there isnt anything in the holes???? Am I missing something? Or have these b*****d cowboys who fitted the new pedal, and snapped the vacuum hose, not refitted my clutch pedal switch???:wtf: