S3 modifications

ebraunschweiler

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls... I was just wondering if there are any intake systems that any of you with S3's would recomend. I currently have a ABT chip 250hp upgrade and would like to gain a bit more power. I do not have a ton of cash at the moment so Im thinking about a downpipe and intake. Would that work well with the chip? I am not familiar with Audis since I have always had Subarus since I can remember. Any input would be great.
Thanks.
Eric B.

only my humble opinion, but minor modifications such as air boxes, exhausts etc make very little difference, and mostly only at the top end which most of us very rarely use on the road. they cost a relative fortune for only 3-5hp gain at best. you simply cannot tell the difference between 250hp and 260hp.

if you are short of money, stick to a chip only on the s3 and get the suspension done and possibly brakes.

Try a search on 'N75J' which if it works OK on your car is a very cost effective mod, but as said the other mods aren't really noticeable....so save pennies and get a NOS setup or big turbo upgrade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I am still unfamiliar with my S3, so I guess Ill have to learn slowly... I know that on my WRX STi the full turbo back exhaust I put on it with a 4 inch downpipe and high flow cat made a huge difference (dyno results showed an increase in about 27whp). I guess Audi is alot different in that respect. Does anyone know a good company that makes a short shifter for the S3?
Thanks
Eric B.

the problem with exhausts, downpipes and cats is that unless they are really bad, they are only restrictive at very high outputs/revs. this means that real world road gains are little or none, and may be negative

for a turbo system, a larger downpipe/cat will reduce restriction at high revs, but decrease exhaust velocity at lower revs. this is likely to reduce bottom end spinup/torque for a gain in top end torque. this translates into shifting the torque (which does the work of accelerating) up the revs range and although you will gain more hp and therefore may have a better top speed, the torque will start higher revs and finish at higher revs, so wont acutally improve the drivability or everyday acceleration of the car