EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    4th Gear

Status

Antenna base replacement

Hi im after replacing my aerial base as it doesnt lookgreat.

Is it true its easy to take off by removing the rear interior map lights then just undoing a bolt?

Can anyone recommend a place to get one? ive seen quite a few on ebay. Some folding ones (did VAG ever make folding ones?). Also some have 2 wires and some look like only 1 which is correct?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Maz
    Moon is made of green cheese

Status
    Mine neither...

yes its easy to replace from what I have read here and your right the nuts hiding behind the rear interior lights.

The ones with two wires may have a booster or I believe were for cars with Nav.

shame VAGparts have stopped trading, they had a repair kit and antenna mast for about 35-40.

I tried Audi - No suprises they wanted me to trade in a kidney to buy one...

I would try to source one off eBay (OEM) or scrappy but failing that its the dealer unfortunately.

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

Roads? We Dont Need Roads!!!!

Status
    I took off the rear map lights and saw the bolt, I am in dire need of changing mine too.

So VAG Parts is no longer then? I tried the site the other night and could not get to the store, I was going to buy it from them... that explains it then!

How much was Audi quoting if you don't mind me asking? I may still get it... as I say, in real need of it and to get it out here in Czech, I may as well get it off FleaBay.

Cheers

Car: A3 1.8T QS (ARY)
    Mods: Revo Stage 2, Milltek, K&N, Forge 007p, B8's & Eibach Springs, 312MM OEM Brakes, BBS LM's, Light Pack, Ally TT Pedals, New Audi Gear Knob, Int LED's
    Wish List: ARB's, FMIC, Hose's, Maybe A Clean Engine Bay and Free Petrol

Maz

Status
    I cant remember for sure but it must have been around 65 if not more which is why the conversation ended pretty quickly... If it were more like 45 then I would have said yes but I'm sure it was extorniate.

Hang on a mo im bored of work today... Will phone a few dealers and post the results!

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

Neutral

Status
    no way vagparts gone tits up, i need a aerial replacement base to, must be quite commen

Neutral

Status
    I need one aswell i wasnt guna bother with it as such a small part and alot of hassle but all the rubber round the bottom has deteriated! 65 :O Wow thats alot for not alot of material! RObbing *******s Audi are, But i insist on gong ther for all my spare parts i think i need my head checking i paid 20 for my front wiper blades. Me Idiot!

Maz

Status
    Stanstead Audi can supply the Anntenna Base for 46.

If anyone is interested, front set of Mats are also 39.99 inc vat. (I've ordered)

We can get a further 10% off the Antenna Base with a few more orders!!!

I've told him that he may get a few more enquiries...

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

3rd Gear

Status
    Can't say I'm surprised VAGParts have gone tits-up to be honest, their customer service was appalling.

4th Gear

Status
    Cheers for the replies. I dont really need the whole base so just bought this i hope its what i need:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A3-A4-A6-...1%7C240%3A1318

Ive bought the repair kit from vag-parts before for my old polo but now they have gone tits up i didnt know where to go. But this looks like it might solve.

Cheers
    Ben

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexStanley View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised VAGParts have gone tits-up to be honest, their customer service was appalling.
    Actually I think that was a bit callous of me - I know first hand that it's extremely tough when business is struggling, and it's a very hard decision to make when you do decide to shut the door.

However, I can't help feeling that if VAGParts had a better idea of what constituted good customer service, they would have generated more business - they would certainly have had mine, for example!

4th Gear

Status
    I know exactly what you are saying and would agree. I wouldnt say they were bad but very slow at replying etc. They have a very good following on all the forums ive been members of (VW and Audi).

Whenever someone pops up a question about where to get something 9/10 times the answer is "vag-parts"

I really hate going to dealers for stuff. For example my lateral accel sensor went and i asked for a new one they said "we dont sell them seperatly anymore you have to buy the lot - 500". No thanks. Unless you know exactly what you need and the part numbers they will try to bum you all the way to 'nam.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Actually I think that was a bit callous of me - I know first hand that it's extremely tough when business is struggling, and it's a very hard decision to make when you do decide to shut the door.

However, I can't help feeling that if VAGParts had a better idea of what constituted good customer service, they would have generated more business - they would certainly have had mine, for example!
    Quote Originally Posted by benr View Post
    I know exactly what you are saying and would agree. I wouldnt say they were bad but very slow at replying etc. They have a very good following on all the forums ive been members of (VW and Audi).

Whenever someone pops up a question about where to get something 9/10 times the answer is "vag-parts"

I really hate going to dealers for stuff. For example my lateral accel sensor went and i asked for a new one they said "we dont sell them seperatly anymore you have to buy the lot - 500". No thanks. Unless you know exactly what you need and the part numbers they will try to bum you all the way to 'nam.
    I'm not sorry to say this, but there customer service was absolutely disgusting, I wont go into detail but tbh glad they're gone, Martyn tbh was a rude arrogant & moody ****e at times, I dont pay someone good money for attitude, glad I have such a good relationship with my local audi parts

As for the antenna base, it has a built in amplifier aswell which is why so expensive guys, I remember looking at this when had my S3 to fit a sharkfin, left as was given signal was crap without the proper base

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

4th Gear

Status
    Cheers. not sure ill bother then. that rubber base seal thing looks exactly what i need. Looks basically what vag parts sold me a couple of years ago but they sent me a bolt etc which i didnt need

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    in fairness i must have got one of vagparts last bases in that case!! although it wasnt exactly the same as the one i removed ...not far off - although still annoying....cheapy cheap cheap though
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

dan77

Status
    that rubber is exactly what i needed, it wasnt that bad, but i knew it was there and it annoyed me!
    A3 1.8T sport, revo stage 1, Forge 007, Green cotton panel filter, TTpedals. . . . . SOLD
    Golf GTTDI 130 . . . . . SOLD

Current 2006 A3 2.0TDI Quattro S-Line, Revo stage one, chrome pedals, black grill, full interior and number plate LEDs retro fitted cruise control,

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    thats the downside fella...none of us want to change the base when theres no point

4th Gear

Status
    Just a heads up on my polo i managed to squeeze it over the base without having to loosen it.

This wouldnt be needed in the A3 as the bolt is easy to get to but just so you know its possible.

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    id imagine you'd have had to cut the rubber to get it over the coax cable wouldnt you?

i personally took the trim off at the back of the headlining, and lowered the linign by removing the window and boot rubbers....arse of a job, worse part being getting the rear roof trim back on....was a right pain, broke a couple of the fixings doing this...it looks ok but would HATE to do it again.

4th Gear

Status
    Nah i managed to get it over the top of the base... was a bit of work but put in hot water first made it a bit easier...

I thought on the A3 you can just get to the bolt from the rear interior lights no? would that not be easier than the way u did it?

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    funny you should say that, i had to turn the rubber around and got in this way to loosen the bolt....wouldnt have liked to fit it that way though, it was hard enough unplugging the damn thing never mind having to align the bolt from scratch....not saying it cant be done, just if i had to do again id be taking rear trim off as the connecvtion was a nightmare