Rough idel, no power

Jacko4130

Goodie Gum Drops
Reaction score
Have just been out in the s3 and have now got a problem, Got a very rough/lumpy idle and no power at all. Engine is shaking about in the engine bay and i have a orange symbol flashing at me on the dash. It feels like the engine is misfiring so could it be a coil pack?

Engine is a BAM 52 plate that has seen 119k with no mods apart from filter and DV.

You could swap the coil packs about then that will either confirm or rule them out possibly, ie find out which cylinder is not firing and see if a diffrent coil pack fires the plug.

I had a similar problem in my old 1.8ts, turned out to be the ignition control module.

I presume i need to get a fault code reader on it to find the problem. Dont supose anyone in the mansfield / nottingham area with a code reader fancys giving me a quick hand for some beers?

if engine is shaking id guess its running 3 cylinder....dont use it!!! you could nacker your CAT up, unburnt fuel (that is meant for fourth cylinder)enters CAT and high temps send it tits up....

you have 4 plugs with rubber covers at the front of the engine above the inlet manifold, start the engine and pull each of these in turn (only pull one at a time), three of them will make it rougher(engine would be running 2 cylinders), and one being pulled wont make a difference....that cylinder will then need a new coil pack

good luck

All sorted, Cylinder 3 coil pack was gone. Will get one ordered in the morning from local motor factors. What have you guys paid for them in the past?

All sorted, Cylinder 3 coil pack was gone. Will get one ordered in the morning from local motor factors. What have you guys paid for them in the past?

Glad to hear you got it sorted fella :thumbsup: Get one from your local dealer if possible. Coil packs are one of those things I would always buy OEM as they're essential to the good runngin of your car. They're no more than £25.

Oh ok, will try nottingham audi in the morning and send our lass to fetch one for me.

I'd say nottingham audi would be your best bet where you are, derby audi are an absolute waste of space in my experience.

Dont know if you are aware but notts audi are no longer in basford.

You can get the coilpacks from SEAT and VW too. One of mine went last week and I paid 30.66 inc vat from VW (same price at SEAT). I don't know how much it would've been from Audi but I'm guessing more.

The part number you need is 06B905115R (the 'R' revision). There have been loads of revisions of these coilpacks, the one I replaced on mine was a 'J', but I think early S3s started with 'H' ones.

i checked all seat, vw and skoda and they were all priced the same in Sheffield..... ended up replacing all 4 as when one went, i replaced and almost immediately another started to go under certain boost..... i now keep the old two that work in my boot along with a 10mm spanner, just incase

All sorted and car runs sweet as now but the light on the dash is still on, will get it on vag-com this week as have found a local lad who has it that will give me a hand.

Engine is a BAM 52 plate that has seen 119k with no mods apart from filter and DV.

119k :wacko: you've put some miles on her, over 20k in 12 months, must cost you a fortune in fuel.

You kept the S3 plate?

Yeah gets some hammer bless her, is doing well though, battery, a set of tyres, cv boot, coil pack and a clutch slave cylinder. not bad in 20k of booting it. Still happy with it :thumbsup:

And yes still have the BNP plate, no problems so far apart from a little banter.

Glad your happy with her and she's been reasonably reliable, regret selling her sometimes, never got a type R, change of job meant i've ended up with a diesel due to high miles, got a Ibiza Cupra tdi 160, not as good as the S3 but 45+ mpg and quite quick for a diesel so can't complain.

Sweet, have had 38 mpg on the motor way out of the s3 but thats not why i got it, Its ready for another set of tyres due to how i drive it but thats life. Get your fun from the 2 stoke beast still?

Yes mate, got a RD350YPVS, a FZR400 and recently bought a Aprilia RS250 that is in bits at the min as trying to get the temp gauge to work, think its a dodgy wire somewhere but can't find the prob yet.

38mpg is good going, think i got 36 once? I always ran it on V-power, never used anything else.

Can't believe you've killed the Goodyear F1's i put on already, thats £300 of my cash you've burnt :icon_thumright:

And a set of toyo t1rs since then, its all about burning rubber....

Had a rs125 once, blew it up two many times but ace fun