No ESP button??

Yaz

Reaction score
Website
www.psplimited.com
I've noticed my S3 hasn't got an ESP button above the headunit where i believe it should be, instead there is a blank 'button'.

What does this mean? Does my car not have ESP then?

Thanks in advance guys!

i dont think so mate, it was an optional extra on the early cars and fitted as standard later on, if theres no esp button then i doubt you have it, my S3 doesnt and to be honest i cant see why it would need it

dom

i dont think so mate, it was an optional extra on the early cars and fitted as standard later on, if theres no esp button then i doubt you have it, my S3 doesnt and to be honest i cant see why it would need it

dom

mmm, interesting... so i take it the quattro system takes care of everything then? Or how does it work if the newer S3's have both quattro and ESP??

Sorry if this is a stupid post:unsure:

yaz - ive no idea lol (sorry) my s3 has never really had bother with traction or getting the power down on most road conditions, if there is loss of traction its very minimal and in my opinoin doesnt warrant the need of electronic trickery, to be honest i have no idea haow it all works, im sure some will be along shortly, sorry i cant be of anymore help

dom

yaz - ive no idea lol (sorry) my s3 has never really had bother with traction or getting the power down on most road conditions, if there is loss of traction its very minimal and in my opinoin doesnt warrant the need of electronic trickery, to be honest i have no idea haow it all works, im sure some will be along shortly, sorry i cant be of anymore help

dom

That's ok Dom, thanks for your input anyway, maybe we'll both find out soon enough! I've not had my S3 very long and haven't yet put it through it paces, but i too can confirm that the traction/grip is very good regardless.

Anyway, at least i'm not the only one without an ESP button!:)

When you turn on the ignition does a traction control light come on?

Its like a round arrow with an exclamation mark in the middle iirc

When you turn on the ignition does a traction control light come on?

Its like a round arrow with an exclamation mark in the middle iirc

Hi mate, i know of the symbol you mean, but mine doesn't show this when you turn on the ignition. One of the first things i thought of tbh when i was looking for the ESP button.

How about yours Dom?

Sorry i wouldnt have thought you have it then.

I always thought there were some models with ESP but no button. But if no light i would say it doesnt have it. If you call a dealer with your reg they will tell you if it left the factory without.

Sorry i wouldnt have thought you have it then.

I always thought there were some models with ESP but no button. But if no light i would say it doesnt have it. If you call a dealer with your reg they will tell you if it left the factory without.

Thanks pal, i was just curious how the whole system works...

just been out to check, and there no symbol of that sort on mine

interesting thread, was thinking this myself the other day,
dont think i have it either.
on a similar note, how do you know when the quattro/4wd kicks in??

i also agree about grip, always brilliant so far, :)

interesting thread, was thinking this myself the other day,
dont think i have it either.
on a similar note, how do you know when the quattro/4wd kicks in??

i also agree about grip, always brilliant so far, :)

Thanks pal! and exactly my point, how do you know when your car is working over time 'cos you're driving like a tw@t?!

In response to how it works you can do a google but the way i understand it is:

it uses acceleration sensors, throttle sensors, brake sensors and steering sensors to work out where you are going and where you want to go to decide if your skidding. It will then brake each of the wheels independently to bring the car into line with where you want to go.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/731344/exotic_cars_info20_com_esp_electronic_stability_program/

Hope this helps

Thanks Benr, that is very useful. I understand how ESP works, but what i meant was how does it all come together on the S3 with quattro and with or without ESP? Does that make sense?

Basically mine doesn't have an ESP button, so i cant turn it off or on, but do i have ESP anyway thats 'built-in' to the system and works in conjunction with the quattro? Or it is a case that my model S3 doesn't have ESP at all and solely relies on the quattro system, abs, etc to keep the car straight? And if this is the case, how does my S3 compare to other S3's with the ESP button?

Thank again guys.

Early 1999 S3's had no ESP, then it became an optional extra late 1999-2000, and I think it was then the facelift models came out, then ESP was standard equipment.

Early 1999 S3's had no ESP, then it became an optional extra late 1999-2000, and I think it was then the facelift models came out, then ESP was standard equipment.

Maybe that's the case, although mine's a 2000 'W' reg...

To be honest if i feel a little mad moment comming on i tend to turn mine off, although i believe it still doesn't entirely go off ! As a safety aid it was designed for i would say its brilliant, usually if i give it a little on a tight bend (roundabout) you can feel it violently kick in to stop under steer and pulling the nose back in, not very exciting but a very good safety idea.....

Yep totally agreed its pretty good as a safety function and gives a bit of piece of mind.

It can be a pain in the backside on wet/quick/hill starts as it seems to make it very jerky when the wheels spin up.

Well it dont look like my car has it, but it does feel very surefooted on the twisty stuff regardless. It still has the quattro at least:respekt:

I turn mine off to drive quicker other wise it just bogs you down, also a knightmare in the snow going up hill especially.

yep the manual recommends turning it off in conditions such as hills in snow.

You dont need it . Its a waste of time just slows you down its better not to have it i think

yeah but when times come when its leathering it down and other conditions where you would normally need it......id much rather have it....TBH i leave mine on most of the time as its effort to turn it off....like the other chaps above though i turn it off when i know im gonna be ragging it.

easy to say you dont need it when you havent got it - it really isnt a waste of time either....sorry to disagree mad

I reckon Esp must prevent hundreds if not thousands of accidents a year, big and small.....i wouldn't say its a waste of time.

Mine stays on unless I need a quick getaway at a wet junction.

Hmmmm I have never turned it off since I got the car.

So reading reading this thread.... it (ESP) kicks in sometimes and slows the car down... is that right?

Hmmmm I have never turned it off since I got the car.

So reading reading this thread.... it (ESP) kicks in sometimes and slows the car down... is that right?

Yeah, i'd be suprised if you haven't experienced it yourself at some point, it doesn't feel very nice really....it can definately hamper a quick launch from stand still....best to just rely on the haldex for that !!

I went from a 1LTR polo to this car so I even a hampered start is 10,000 times better than what I have known :yahoo:

I will definitely give it a try tho, turn it off I mean.

mine doesnt. 5 seconds is a very long time. are you sure? Mine slows it down but doesnt cut power. If anything it applies brakes.

Well i have had it on many cars and i didnt feel any safer !

i like to have fun in the car . As whats the point of all the power when you cant have fun !!

:p

Mine has no ESP, never had the need for it in 8 years or so of ownership, but then again, I never really push the car to it's limit on the public road, out on the track I have, but on the road, 8/10ths is probably my limit on an empty road.

Mine has no ESP, never had the need for it in 8 years or so of ownership, but then again, I never really push the car to it's limit on the public road, out on the track I have, but on the road, 8/10ths is probably my limit on an empty road.

So how did you find the grip/handling on the track without ESP Jojo?