Spacer Question

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Hi,

Car's in the bodyshop at the moment being sprayed so i cant have a look myself.

When i last took off my 18x8 Mille Miglia Porsche Cup 3's i noticed the bolts weren'y quite long enough.

Ive wanted to space them out for a while now any-way, im not paying silly prices for the H&R Spacers so thought id go for the cheaper FK ones.

What would people recommend to space out? Im thinking 25mm rear, 10mm front?

Thanks

Jason

8" wide are obviously allready wider than standard. Ive heard 15mm rear and 10mm front is fine.

I have 10mm front and 15mm rear on my S3. It looks better than before but I now wish I had gone for 15 front and 20mm rear. IMO 25mm on the rear might be too much. (Depends on what look you are aiming to achieve)

remember jason has an A3 without the flared arches.....

Has anyone else found their rear wheels aren't central to the car? my beam seems to sit every so slightly off to the passengers side.....

I do have an S3 Rear bumper on it though if that makes any difference?

10mm Front 25mm Rear? Ideally want to be Wide as possible at the rear :)

Jason

Theres an A3 on the last page of the A3/S3 Pics thread (Nick101) that looks seriously wide with porsche rims. Im guessing they are 25mm???

Would the handling not suffer going that wide at the back?

was looking at PCB adaptors to fit original S4's....but these are all 25mm booooo

8" wide are obviously allready wider than standard. Ive heard 15mm rear and 10mm front is fine.

15mm/10mm or 16mm/10mm gives full arches and equal gaps front and rear.
16mm/16mm can be done, but it's close to the arch on the front with 8" wheels, ET33...so you need to run plenty of negative camber to make sure you don't scrub if you drive hard....and it looks a bit odd (I ran this set up and preferred the 'look' of 16mmR and 10mm F).

At the rear, 16mm are fine...but will hit the arches if you don't run at least 1.0 degree of negative camber per side (may be OK at -.05, but it'll be VERY tight).

These comments based on a car lowered 20-25mm.

I have 10mm front and 15mm rear on my S3. It looks better than before but I now wish I had gone for 15 front and 20mm rear. IMO 25mm on the rear might be too much. (Depends on what look you are aiming to achieve)

I would expect 25mm at the rear to rub with most 8" wide wheels.

On an S3 it'll rub...on an A3 it would need the suspension to be so solid at the rear to stop scrubbing, that it'll be awful to drive.

I think it'll be trial and error to be honest...trial fit what you have, measure up, and add until you get a spacer to scrubbing compromise.

Personally, I won't accept any scrubbing at all...as I don't want my tyre shredding mid way through a fast corner when I have the car suspension fully loaded up...but that's just me.
Some peope are happy to live with a bit of scrubbling.

haha, nope, not really been looking TBH..... although not that bothered about forking out £900 for new (cant justify the money) so kinda hoping for some second hand ones..... rocking horse s**t comes to mind but if they appear i shall pounce :superman:

15mm/10mm or 16mm/10mm gives full arches and equal gaps front and rear.
16mm/16mm can be done, but it's close to the arch on the front with 8" wheels, ET33...so you need to run plenty of negative camber to make sure you don't scrub if you drive hard....and it looks a bit odd (I ran this set up and preferred the 'look' of 16mmR and 10mm F).

At the rear, 16mm are fine...but will hit the arches if you don't run at least 1.0 degree of negative camber per side (may be OK at -.05, but it'll be VERY tight).

These comments based on a car lowered 20-25mm.

Are these sizes for an A3 or S3 running ET33 18's and 20-25mm lower as I would imagine the flared S3 arches would make a difference?

Ta

<tuffty/>

the sizes glen has given are for an S3 I believe.

Interstingly, my A3 is lowered 50mm, and last week at pro tyre, they measured it to have 1.5 degrees neg on the back, and 0.5 degrees neg on the front. I've got 8'' ET 35 rims on mine, and there is NO rubbing at all on the back, simply loads of room. on the front they JUST touch the inner arch on full lock, but that's not an issue to me. with a 5mm spacer on the front they probably wouldn't touch at all.

I want to space my rears out slightly too, but my beam isn't perfectly central to the body, and I want to figure out why first before playing with spacers! I'm going to change my rear beam bushes for LCR items, and see if that evens things out a bit!

I think I will wait until I get my H&R springs, tie bars and RSTT wheels before getting spacers then... I'll do it by the good old measure twice pay once method :)

<tuffty/>

I want to space my rears out slightly too, but my beam isn't perfectly central to the body, and I want to figure out why first before playing with spacers! I'm going to change my rear beam bushes for LCR items, and see if that evens things out a bit!

Why not go for Powerflex bushes?
They give a really good improvement in turn in, much more precise. That should square the beam up nicely.

I run them on my Mk3 GTI and they were one of the most positive improvements handling wise.