First start, no turbo

dhyndi

S3 D HY
Reaction score
Hi All,
Bit of a strange fault with my S3, It's a 2002 225bhp. Basically, this only happened now and again but is becoming more regular. The first time i start the car every day the turbo doesnt work...ie, im driving along with no turbo kicking in. But as soon as i turn the car off and on again it works fine, and will do for the rest of the day.......any thoughts??? My car hasnt been serviced for a good while...could that have anything o do with it??

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Dave

Could be a multitude of things check out this link for info: http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=50418

Ideally you need to get it VAGCOM first to see if any faults come up and then go fropm there.

If it hasn't been serviced for a while, do the basics filters (£20), oil (£40) and spark plugs (£30) and two hours

the odd time it throws up a loss of boost pressure code...and then other times it shows up that the efficiency after the cat is below the threshold...sometimes both...just depends how often i clear it!

Limp mode i would say, you need to fix the boost leak or MAF or whatever it is that throws the loss of boost code

when the managment light was on before there was never any loss of power or anything tho....for whatever reason this only seems to happen on the first start of a cold morning.....it worked fine today!

Hi All,
Bit of a strange fault with my S3, It's a 2002 225bhp. Basically, this only happened now and again but is becoming more regular. The first time i start the car every day the turbo doesnt work...ie, im driving along with no turbo kicking in. But as soon as i turn the car off and on again it works fine, and will do for the rest of the day.......any thoughts??? My car hasnt been serviced for a good while...could that have anything o do with it??

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Dave

Hi,

Would you say the issue occurs only on particulary cold mornings ?

If it is, & you have the 17705 DTC (pressure drop) then I suggest taking a read of the following thread.

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=48308

Regards
Morgan

Do you have Vag-Com ?

If so can you tell me your ECU part number ?

Hi,

Yes thats fine :)

Well this particular ECU HW/SW variant can suffer from the issue I mentioned in the other thread (Cold start/low ambient temp/17705 DTC/limp)

Its actually quite rare to hear owners with stock code complaining of it even though the trigger itself can occur by the very nature of its cause, normally its those with remaps who seem to report it.

We patch this in our code if we know the ECU is an affected one, to avoid our customers experiencing this feature :)

It may be you have some other issue causing your problem, but if the symptoms fit as they say !

Regards
Morgan

ok, so left my S3 into Aston Martin for a service yesterday (I work for a multi franchise car dealership and get labour cheap!) One of the guys there used to work for my local Audi stealer. He knew all about the car and i'd a good talk with him. He says this isnt an uncommon fault and what Audi used to do to fix it was remove the inlet manifold, give it a good clean and stick it back in again. So will hopefully get that done soon. Car's going great after the service though!