Turbo Air Box Modifications

Markb

Reaction score
I remember a while back there was a thread about this, but I can't find it again.

Anyway I downloaded someones guide from that thread explaining how to change the intake pipe etc.., but I am a bit confused from the description and photos where to mount the new intake pipe to the airbox.

airboxmods01.jpg

airboxmods02.jpg

As far as I can work out the pipe is to the left directly below the intake to the engine rather then being to the right as per the original system.

Is the S3 different to the A3 T Sport in this? As mine has got the intake to the right as you look at it, and not the left.

Could I move it to the other the side and would it effect the performance? As I would have to cover the original hole some how.

Finally what size holes have people drilled in the bottom before, and how many?

Cheers.

A3 has different intake, due to having K03 turbo and only one IC.

S3 has K04 Turbo, and two Intercoolers. one in each wheel arch, hence inlet mainfold on other side.

I tried a Wak modded airbox, but didnt like thought of all the hot air being sucked in, and havent got a Front Mount IC to compensate like he has.

I left it OEM in the end.

Mark,

The photographs you have shown are from an article I put together a few years ago for a german audi sport site. If you pm me with your email address, I can send you a copy.

regards

Cheers S3DBW

I've got the article I just wanted to query it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I assume the A3 intake is thru the wing as per the S3, the intake shown was an extra intake I installed. The early S3's were sometimes prone to the intake hose to the turbo collapsing due to the pressure drop across the system when running higher boost pressures. This simple little mod, in addition to providing some extra cool air, effectively solved this problem for me and meant I did not ned to change the hose.

regards

[ QUOTE ]
S3DBW said:
I assume the A3 intake is thru the wing as per the S3, the intake shown was an extra intake I installed. The early S3's were sometimes prone to the intake hose to the turbo collapsing due to the pressure drop across the system when running higher boost pressures. This simple little mod, in addition to providing some extra cool air, effectively solved this problem for me and meant I did not ned to change the hose.

regards

[/ QUOTE ]

All S3's no matter of age had the intake feed pipe to the air box throught the inner arch, where as early A3's had the feed taken from the grill (Better in my opinion) which seemed to then change at the time of the facelift.