JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Recommended battery for a 2001 1.8 T Sport

Good evening all.

After struggling to start the car these last few days, I had to jump start yesterday morning to get going . I checked the battery and found the 'magic eye' to be clear. The manual suggests topping up the electrolyte or fitting a replacement if the battery is older than five years. As I only bought the car this October I've no idea how old the battery is.

I've read that the original batteries fitted were 280/480A 60Ah in a group 47 footprint (246l x 175w x 190h). Would increasing the cranking current to around 700 be beneficial or would a 480 unit be more than sufficient?

Any other recommendations/suggestions/comments would be appreciated .

Many thanks in advance.

Antony.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Anthony I recently had to change mine on my 02 S3 and was clueless so went to halfrauds and they have the info by the batteries so you can't go wrong,I reckon you should have too much power rather than too little as you don't want to be paying out in 12 months time.

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    I got a halfords one too and got in on Trade. 57 down to 24 and 3 years extended trade warranty...LOL

that was 1.5 years ago and still working fine
    ^^ In my opinion

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for your replies voorhees & abdus. I contacted halfrauds who asked for 99.99 so I called round several suppliers and eventually sourced a Bosch S4004 (60Ah with a CCA of 540A) with a 3 year warranty for 54 from Normans Motor Shop at S75 6BS. At 175mm high the terminal posts are just high enough to allow the terminal clamps to be tightened sufficiently.

Now I can get back to some motoring.

Antony