a3 won't start

kevandalice

Reaction score
A3 1.6 AVU Engine will turn over fine, just wont fire.

all lights on dash normal

first VAGCOM scan said something like "immobilser prevented engine from starting"

i cleared that fault and tried strating again, no joy

re scanned it and no faults are now showing.

RAC man suspected the crankshaft position sensor

any ideas?

many thanks

kevin

Did the vag-com code come back then since you have retried to start it?

Also have you tried another key?

My thinking would be the thing which reads the immobiliser transponder in the key or the transponder in the key

No the error code would not re manifest itself. have also tried another key to no avail

Is it trying to fire up, or is it nothing at all???

Battery?

Mine went a month or two ago, central locking working, Int Lights ok, Dash ok. Just not firing up, turned over but just never caught on and started.

Called Audi, they jump started it with a wee box attached to the battery. Fired up no probs. left it running for a bit then switched it off, would not start again. Got it picked up by them on the back of a truck and they fitted a new one. No problems now. They tested my old battery and it was dead. To this day I dont know what drained it. No lights were left on, nothing plugged up to the cigerate lighter.

Just an idea... maybe you checked it already.

Battery?

Mine went a month or two ago, central locking working, Int Lights ok, Dash ok. Just not firing up, turned over but just never caught on and started.

Called Audi, they jump started it with a wee box attached to the battery. Fired up no probs. left it running for a bit then switched it off, would not start again. Got it picked up by them on the back of a truck and they fitted a new one. No problems now. They tested my old battery and it was dead. To this day I dont know what drained it. No lights were left on, nothing plugged up to the cigerate lighter.

Just an idea... maybe you checked it already.

Was yours turning over at normal speed? And was it trying to fire?

As above yea it can seem as if its live, but can be fooling you and will actually be dead, try a jump start or a different battery, might be as simple as that, who knows....

Update

I changed the g28 engine speed sender (crankshaft position sensor) and all is well again.

This just goes to show that not all faults are always picked up on a fault scan

Regards

Kevin

good stuff buddy, congrats on the fix

well done, glad you got it sorted.