2 Small problems = HELP

nicklght

Imthegod
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls its been a while since i have been on here as i have been soooooooooo busy, i have got 2 small problems the first is my indicators aren't working properly (when i go to indicator either left or right the indicator sign on the dash flashes then goes off but the stork is still either up or down) any ideas?

The 2nd problem i have got is the reading for the temperature outside of the car which displays on the dash goes from ie 10 to -49 ( im sure i would freeze or die if this was true) Any ideas?

:uhm:
Cheers for all your help in advance

Nick

On the wagons I drive the indicators do the same thing when a bulb is out have checked all the bulbs?

When i put the hazards lights on all the indicators work its just when i use the stork to indicate. ( The stork will be for example: up as if im turning right but there will be nothing flashing on my dash or on the indicators outside the car) Very strange!!!!

Hey Nick long time no speak! How's things?

The indicator problem sounds like your relay is playing up. The indicator relay is part of the hazard light switch so you just need to source a replacement for that.

Not sure on the temp sensor problem. Sounds like a dodgy sensor but I couldn't tell you where it's located!

Andy

Temp sender sound dodgy like 'themanthatcan' says, new green top ones supercedes old black top one, on my 1.8T it's located on the right hand side of the engine just above where the block and gearbox join. It's available from vagparts / local stealership etc. Indicator problem sounds like hazard relay which also has relay for indicators, again a common fault. HTH,

Hey thanks for the info guys i knew i could rely on you.

Hey andy yeah long time no speak, have you had anymore problems withy our car? How is it running?

Will these parts be expensive?

Hey thanks for the info guys i knew i could rely on you.

Hey andy yeah long time no speak, have you had anymore problems withy our car? How is it running?

Will these parts be expensive?

The hazard light switch is £20.90+VAT from VAG parts. I'm not sure that the temp sender that Imteyaz suggests is where your car gets the ambient temp from; right above the engine seems like a strange place to get those readings from..maybe someone else can confirm?

Apart from a big stonechip in my windscreen at the weekend which required a new screen, things aren't too bad with the car thanks, but I have to take each day as it comes :) Since visiting JBS a couple of weekends ago with VRBob I'm much happier with how the car is running. Had a full service done so the engine sounds much quieter and smoother, but they still think I've got a blockage in my exhaust somewhere so need to get that sorted as it's limiting top-end boost somewhat.

How about you..still travelling between Pompey and the valleys? Can't remember if I mentioned but I split with my gf a few months back so no longer living just round the corner from you!

Hey andy I was wondering why i hadnt seen your car around this way for ages, so where are you living now? Yeah im still travelling between portsmouth and the valleys but only once every few months now so the wife uses the car once a week when she goes to liphook to give it a run as i dont use it.

Im glad you have got your car sorted now, hopefully it stays that way.

Im going to book my car in to have these things done next week so i will let you know how it went.

Thanks for the info Imteyaz hopefully its not too expensive this side of xmas.

Nick

I'm back at my parents in Hythe, so the other side of Southampton. It's good being out of Pompey in a way as I always feared for my car when I went to bed! My parents place is in a nice quiet cul-de-sac so this time of year I can leave the car running to defrost it before leaving for work..it's great :)

It's really not worth booking your car in to get these bits replaced fella! The temp sensor is a 2 min job and the hazard light switch doesn't take much longer. If you need a hand then let me know, but there are guides around if you search the forums (Imteyaz's link shows you how to do the temp sensor).

I had a different problem a while back and was reccomended to change the hazard light switch which did nothing.
So I have a brand new unused hazard light switch I can sell you :)

Hey guys have just had my car back from the garage, i told the mechanic what you said and he said it, it shouldn't be that and it will be the indicator stork so bought 1 of them from GSF £22(audi wanted £90) had that fitted and guess what, it still didnt work so i have got to get a hazard switch now and hope that works.

What do mechanics know eh?

Cheers for the info on the sensor that was located at thefront of the bumper.