JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status

What's the head unit of choice?

I'm looking at getting a new head unit to replace the standard one. I'd like something with an ipod connection of some sort. I know that some sort of extra face plate will be needed to fill part of the huge hole the original head unit will leave but what head units seem to fit better than others?

Any pics would also be nice of your head unit if that's not too much trouble

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Lots of people go for RNS-e but i think its too bigger cost and hassle. Id recommend a becker, thats probably what im going to go for when i do replace mine.

1st Gear

Status
    I to am looking into this at the mo. Keen to know what people know/think of this:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kdav...gmrc4bclnjngo4

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    No experience of JVC ice. I know their stuff is generally well made though.

I tend to rate Alpine. My mp3 headunit lasted for the 5 years I had my last car. With the freezing temperatures, very harsh roads and solid coilovers it never missed a beat.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Status
    Becker Grand Prix if you want quality without the bling:
    http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/GP799...wma-tuner.html
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Yaz
    1st Gear

Status
    1994 Audi 100 Avant 2.5TDI
    1987 VW Scirocco Scala

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
    Can you select a red backlight for that unit? It would look pretty cr*p if all blue in a red backlit car...

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

Yaz
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alijames View Post
    Can you select a red backlight for that unit? It would look pretty cr*p if all blue in a red backlit car...

Cheers,
    Yeah you can red or blue for the screen and the buttons
    1987 VW Scirocco Scala

4th Gear

Status
    I like Alpine units, but i dont like the look of them bit too out of place.

Anyone got any pics installed?

5th Gear

Status
    Becker is the best option if you want to keep a standard look. Fantastic HU too. I have a pic of one installed in A4, just so you get an idea.

Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I am going for an Alpine IDA-X100 too. Got my trusty Sony CDX CA900 at the moment. Its pretty good and I use a Connects2 iPod controller which gives me pretty good control and ID3 tags on the scroling screen.

Looks nice in the dash (excuse the poor quality pics) but really fancy the Alpine.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3..._cdx-ca900.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...r/IMG_3348.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...r/IMG_3352.jpg

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    I am going for an Alpine IDA-X100 too. Got my trusty Sony CDX CA900 at the moment. Its pretty good and I use a Connects2 iPod controller which gives me pretty good control and ID3 tags on the scroling screen.

Looks nice in the dash (excuse the poor quality pics) but really fancy the Alpine.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3..._cdx-ca900.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...r/IMG_3348.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...r/IMG_3352.jpg

<tuffty/>
    Where did you get the fascia adaptors from?
    2006 - A4 - 1997 1.8T 20VS, Full Black Recaro Leathers, Concert, Climate Control, Facelifted, Remus, Front armrest! - Sold
    2007 - A3 20vs -bridge gap motor....
    2008 - Think its time for the Civic Type R.
    2009 - Screw a Type R. Got a VR6 instead (missed even now)
    2011 - Focus St170. < what was i thinking...
    2012 - Lateee 8L S3 with EVERY extra....Broken...other asn members enjoying my parts!
    NOW! - B5 S4 Avant - 2.7 Twin Turbo POWWEERR! WWOOOOOSSSHHH!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    i've got a rockford fosgate HU. great sound not too flashy.

3rd Gear

Status
    I went for a chavvy Pioneer P55BT purely for the bluetooth tech! I have to say it is a brilliant system! But they discontinued that. So i would recommend the Pioneer D3. Its a double din so it will look OEM in your car and it has navi and bluetooth with ipod control. http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/5821.html bit pricey but worth it i think!
    2006 - A4 - 1997 1.8T 20VS, Full Black Recaro Leathers, Concert, Climate Control, Facelifted, Remus, Front armrest! - Sold
    2012 - Lateee 8L S3 with EVERY extra....Broken...other asn members enjoying my parts!

4th Gear

Status
    agree with becker great OEM look, only thing that niggles me is the spacers you have to stick in either side of the unit

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibzzzzz View Post
    I went for a chavvy Pioneer P55BT purely for the bluetooth tech! I have to say it is a brilliant system! But they discontinued that. So i would recommend the Pioneer D3. Its a double din so it will look OEM in your car and it has navi and bluetooth with ipod control. http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/5821.html bit pricey but worth it i think!
    i want somethin like this for my S3, but can you get a face plate to go round the original stereo cause the gap is quite big

5th Gear

Status
    I have the Alpine IDA-X100 and it's absolutely immense! The red matches perfectly, the sound quality using the IPod is superb and combined with it showing you the album artwork it really does have the wow factor.

Yaz
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fran-s3 View Post
    I have the Alpine IDA-X100 and it's absolutely immense! The red matches perfectly, the sound quality using the IPod is superb and combined with it showing you the album artwork it really does have the wow factor.
    Agreed, hard to beat for the money...
    1987 VW Scirocco Scala

3rd Gear

Status
    I been doing searching and this car doesnt take any double din apart from the RNS-e as no fascia has been made for an aftermarket unit which is DUUUMMMB!

5th Gear

Status
    Plus forgot to mention, has the added advantage of being able to use the Alpine bluetooth handsfree kit (you need to buy as an extra) which is superb. You can also remove part of the face unit for added security.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibzzzzz View Post
    I been doing searching and this car doesnt take any double din apart from the RNS-e as no fascia has been made for an aftermarket unit which is DUUUMMMB!
    I had the same issue, my S3 came with the OEM double din Audi Sat Nav originally... Got a ICE speciliast in Leicester to re-mould and spray a single A3 DIN facia (from double to single DIN) but your right they don't actually make one for the 8L. I looked for ages, but nope they don't. Can give you the company details of ICE specilialist who managed to make mine.... Great result, looks OEM.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    The Alpine is 'Vehicle Display Interface' ready which one would assume would allow it to connect to the Audi DIS. Anyone know anymore about this? Would be great to have the DIS used rather than a big black nothing like it is on my current Sony HU

<tuffty/>

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    poooo i cant honestly see anything looking better than the OEM HU.... IMO of course.... some cars are meant to have different HU's, some aren't

The Becker does look the most subtle but like someone mentioned above, the side inserts ruin it.... OEM all the way, just a shame you cant upgrade the OEM to sound better

I welcome the forthcoming onslaught that i have just opened myself up to
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

5th Gear

Status
    Yes I read that but there was certainly no option on mine to do this that I could see.... The top DIS doesn't look to bad blank to be honest.. You only lose a third of it.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I had a double din (Symphony 2) until recently, I couldn't find a double din adaptor and tbh didn't really need all the functions of current DD models so managed to find someone who had all the single din stuff to swap.

Opens up more options IMO plus I have a load of gear/amops etc to go in from my previous car.

<tuffty/>

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    What facsia plates do I need to fill the huge hole left by removing the CD player/radio/tape unit and fitting an after market head unit?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    poooo i cant honestly see anything looking better than the OEM HU.... IMO of course.... some cars are meant to have different HU's, some aren't

The Becker does look the most subtle but like someone mentioned above, the side inserts ruin it.... OEM all the way, just a shame you cant upgrade the OEM to sound better

I welcome the forthcoming onslaught that i have just opened myself up to
    revo'd

6th Gear

Status
    I have the single din concert in mine with Bose. Is there a problem with the Bose compatibility with any of these after market units? I remeber the phone installer telling me it was a hassle to get the parrot kits to work with the Bose equipped cars properly.