Numberplate light bulb type

Andy_S3

Reaction score
One the rear numberplate bulbs has blown. :( I was thinking of replacing both with the brilliant white bulbs that are being fitted to new BMWs, as I think they look a lot better than the yellowish glow the normal bulbs give off. Does anyone know the bulb type for these? Im guessing that Halfords dont do these new bulbs yet so itll probably be an internet job.
I have seen these bulbs fitted to an S3 on this site but I cant remember who! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:icon_thumright:

They are festoon type (cant remember the length though unscrew one and have a look). You can use LED's but you will need resistors i believe.
Havent seen brilliant white bulbs dont know what they are but ley us know how you get on

and you get very good service and parts from ultraleds.

Thats good to know, ill let you know how I get on when theyre fitted

I recommend ultraleds :yes:

P1010733.jpg

Was going to ask the same question today lol
Sandip, that looks good, btw where did you get your plates made? just got my private ones to get on :)

Thanks. I got them done at a local car graphics place in manchester and stuck them on with self adhesive number plate pads :thumbsup:

have you done the front side lights too?? must look nice with the xenons

Thats great sandip, i knew someone on here had them! So going by that link I posted ive ordered the right ones? Will I need a resistor or like the ebay link says do they have them built in? (I like the numberplate too!)

no, you shouldn't need anything, just take the old ones out and put the new ones in, done! Easy! post some pics when you have them

no need for resistors etc...

sandip, look very nice and also the paint looks fresh

Brilliant yeah ill get some pics up when theyre fitted, they look great on the noggy blue, will be interesting to see how they look on the dolphin greys

no need for resistors etc...

sandip, look very nice and also the paint looks fresh

I dont have much experience with these but i have read lots about blowing bulbs if resistors arent used. This is due to the fluctuation in current provided by the car.

Edit - Just bought a couple of sets. Will see how good they are. Definatly more expensive than most LED bulbs but do look better

i've had them (from ultraleds) for almost a year now, no flickering, not replaced or any other problem. Maybe the cheap ebay will die after 2-3 months. But the ones I have are spot on

where is the link for what you bought ??

i've had them (from ultraleds) for almost a year now, no flickering, not replaced or any other problem. Maybe the cheap ebay will die after 2-3 months. But the ones I have are spot on

anyone no how wide the festoon buld is as i cant be bothered to check if someone no's

I think it was about 38mm when I measured it tip to tip

cheers ill order some now thanks

I will order toooooo :yahoo:

Anybody know about LED's or at least bright white for glove box and boot?

im getting confused. with these bulbs then do you need resistors etc or are they just straight swap. liike the look of sandips bulbs think they look mint and if its jut a case of a straight swap could well be interested.

im getting confused. with these bulbs then do you need resistors etc or are they just straight swap. liike the look of sandips bulbs think they look mint and if its jut a case of a straight swap could well be interested.

Theyre a straight swap. Just got mine fitted and it does look smart. However the side that had blown still isnt working so it looks like a wiring problem. Ill get it booked in under warranty methinks.

But I recommend getting a pair!

newfestoon.jpg

whats the big one for?? in the top left of the packet??

newfestoon.jpg

whats the big one for?? in the top left of the packet??

Thats the actual led pack. You plug it into the appropriate festoon bulb and put the festoon bulb back in its holder, tucking the led pack in front of it. It comes with sticky pads to secure it. It all fits in fine behind the lens with no hassle

Does anyone know the which fuse is for the numberplate lights? Thought id check it before sending it off to the garage

what have people got at the moment as rear number plate lights just dunno weather to get some ?

I just had a wee 1 hour session with my car and some LED's will post some pics soon with what I was trying out.

Seems to work well, but I have read on other threads that if to many are used then you get DIS errors.

I HAVE A PLAN! :salute:

Ok, So I am fed up with the yellow effect in the car so I bought 2 of these...

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/26...m-available-in-assorted-colours-pr-16392.html

Fine in the main interior light. Crisp, white, clear :yes: Not cheap tho, Total: £10.30 inc P&P

So I need to do all the other lights like the map lights, boot, vanity mirrors, number plate, glove box, door open light (dont know the technical term :search: When you open the door, there is a light that shines on to the road).

So I went to work with just the two I bought above and tried them out.
Worked in the vanity mirrors, worked in the number plate, worked in the boot. Pics below....

The map lights, door open light on road are a different type so I need to find ones that will fit the purpose.

So, now on to what I have read, if you use too many, you get DIS error or they dont shine as bright, all to do with risistence and fitting risistors helps but then you have the problem of risistors getting hot. So my plan is this (as I dont want to shell out a lot of candy then it does not work).

I have fitted the two I have in the number plate, looks amazin :yes:
Will order another two and fit them in the main interior light. If all is good with that, order anther three for glovebox, and vanity mirrors. All that will be left is boot, map lights, and shiney road lights. So this is going to take a bit of time to do but just maybe!

09122008602.jpg

09122008603.jpg

09122008604.jpg

09122008605.jpg

09122008606.jpg

Last post honest... unless yous want me to get back to you on the project.... but I got a lot of my info from this thread....

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=63048&highlight=bulbs

I bought these as suggested but need to mod them like the good man did.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2pcs-BA9S-T4W-...d=p3286.c0.m14

He bought some for rear map lights then ran in to problems. Hence my walking with a bit of trepidation.

Hope this is of some use to you guys, I cant claim the glory tho, it is from that thread above but hey, I will claim some for spreading the word hehehe :haha: