Chris NottEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Rolling Road Results

I bought my s3 about a year an a bit ago and told it was standard. However had some problems recently with the MAF and the chaps at audi said that they suspected the car had been remapped. So I took it to a rolling road the other day the stats are as follows:

BHP 236.3
    Torque 242.1 lbft
    Boost was 28psi

The chap at the rolling road said that the car had to have been remapped due to the figures espically the Torque and Boost. Now I was a bit disappointed as if it had been remapped I would have thought the BHP would be about 240-250. The boost worries me that seems seriously high, its always great taking off, but is it safe? The chap says I could be getting 260 bhp if of course i get a custom remap from him.

Your thoughts as to the above would be welcomed, i.e. should I not be getting more BHP if its remapped, should the psi be that high, is the torque ok. The guy at the rolling road said he couldnt be sure whether it was custom or just an off the shelf jobbie (could this be why low BHP?) can you tell if its custom or off the shelf?

thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    those figures sound REALLY odd. 28psi of boost should be giving you WELL over 300lbft of torque, my smaller ko3S can produde 242lbft at just 14psi of boost! and 290lbft at 22psi. you're power figure is also fairly low considering the high boost it's running.

I'd personally say 28psi on a near standard engine is dangerous, without uprated intercoolers the inlet temps are going to be VERY high, and timming will be pulled back massively, perhaps explaining the very low figures.

it is often best to attain power using less boost and more timming, provided inlet temps can be kept low to avoid detonation.

That said, the figure it'self for power isn't TERRIBLE. I saw several LCR's remapped making under 240bhp on an accurate dyno....

Something isn't right though, that boost figure is mental.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ya I thought the figures werent right, my mate in his gsi was pushing about 200 tourque, 200 bhp and boosting at 14 psi in comparison im getting 36 bhp for double the boost of my mate???

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    as a general idea, you should be looking to make around 250-260bhp at around 20-21psi, with somewhere between 270-280lbft.....

That's a very rough guideline, but yours is WAY out, and that boost is dangerous.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks, think im going to have to get that looked at

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3vik225bhp View Post
    BHP 236.3
    Torque 242.1 lbft
    Boost was 28psi
    You sure that boost reading is accurate? Are you getting that from VAG-COM? I would have thought you'd strike limp mode with that much. If not you should be. Check out block 115 for requested and actual boost.
    Black S3 | MY09 | APR 3.4 Stage 2+ | RNS-E LED | Tints | 19" OEM RS3 Rotors | APR DP | APR HPFP | WALK | Bilstein B14 Coilovers | Lamin-X | Ashtray delete | P3 Gauges integrated boost gauge | BlueVAG VAG-Check |

3rd Gear

Status
    Mine boosts at 22.5 (peak) 1.5 bar, yours is 1.9 bar and is way way to high so something must be up somewhere....I'm really surprised you don't hit limp mode with that boost pressure!

Reverse Gear

Status
    As far as I know, yes, not got vag-com yet. No never been in limp mode?? only problems i have had are the coils and MAF (had to be replaced recently, this is when Audi said they suspected remap as seemed faster then standard S3)

I really need to get this checked out. Im gonna call the chap with the rolling road and ask if thats acurate.

cheers

3rd Gear

Status
    Did he RR it in 4WD or did he pull the fuse and do it in 2WD,...If he done it in 2WD those figures are about right, but that doesn't explain the high boost....

Reverse Gear

Status
    He took the fuse out, it was in two wheel drive. He said the high boast could be as was a cheepo re-map; not sure though.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Power and boost are not directly proportional. High boost doesn't mean high power. Timing and air/fuel mixture play a huge part.
    You need to log these to get the whole picture.

How was the boost measured? Reliable source?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the advice, there was a get together off the astra site where they were all going on the rolling road, mates got an astra so he asked if i could tag along to the rolling road. The guy they used (in cantebury) seemed like he knew what he was doing, they have used him before and the rest of the cars got readings that they were expecting so im guessing his reliable. However my car was the only one with 4WD and they were poncing about for a while before the got it working. Gonna speak to the guy at the rolloing road to ask how reliable he thought it was.

3rd Gear

Status
    Those figures you got are pretty similar to mine, and i can keep up with a friends S3 which has been custom mapped by jabba and all running well, So i wouldn't be to worried, just get the boost issue sorted.

Running it in FWD on the RR gives a smoother graph and a less of a "scary"! ride for the the mechanic, when in 4WD the Haldex system fights for grip giving it the feeling it's going to jump of the RR...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    Those figures you got are pretty similar to mine, and i can keep up with a friends S3 which has been custom mapped by jabba and all running well, So i wouldn't be to worried, just get the boost issue sorted
    What with a tow rope !! Lol....
    revo'd