New Steering wheel help!!!

scott_johnson

Reaction score
Hey all. Ive just purchased a 3 spoke standard audi s3 steering wheel to replace my hideous 4 spoke multi function monster! Just a few questions

* Will i have to disconnect my battery to unplug the airbag?
* Will i need a vagcom to reprogramme the airbag in any way?
* Will i need any additional mounts to swop from a multi funtion to a normal wheel?
* How easy are they to fit.. Im guessing just remove the 2x torx to remove the airbag, unplug then unscrew the main bolt and off it comes??
* Last but not least, will it effect my radio goin from a multi function to a normal wheel as the mf had buttons to controll the radio??

Cheers

SJ

Dunno about most the questions but I would say an almighty great YES!!!! to disconnecting the battery before starting the work!!!

Have you managed to find a mug to buy your MF wheel yet? Must admit I'm still liking mine, but I'm far too lazy to reach over to adjust the volume! The onyl thing it's missing is a Source button :)

I only picked up the steering wheel yest so no pics or a buyer yet for the multi function. I picked up the steering wheel, air bag and gear stick / gaiter for under £140. I was thinking of getting the alcantara one for £199 off ebay but then i would of had to pay £250 odd pounds for an airbag so i think i got a bargain. Its off a 2002 s3 in mint condition so i couldnt resist buying one to replace the hideous 4 spoke on now!!!

If any one can answer my questions id be very gratefull. And if you cant its still goin on tonight any way :) lol. I was goin to disconnect the battery any way but im sure every thing will become clear when i start dismantling things!

Thanx again

SJ

Right guys the steering wheels on and my airbag light is on, is this because i unpluged the airbag?? lol. And im guessing it will need resetting??

Cheers

SJ

Andy perhaps thats why your cars a lil slower? ****** big steering wheel weighing it down:laugh:

* Will i have to disconnect my battery to unplug the airbag?
depends how paranoid you are, have swapped and removed mine numerous times without disconnecting the battery, make sure your keys are not in the ignition though!
* Will i need a vagcom to reprogramme the airbag in any way?
yes, you airbag light will come on when disconnected and reconnected
* Will i need any additional mounts to swop from a multi funtion to a normal wheel?
depends on the wiring loom inside
* How easy are they to fit.. Im guessing just remove the 2x torx to remove the airbag, unplug then unscrew the main bolt and off it comes??
guess you have done this bit already
* Last but not least, will it effect my radio goin from a multi function to a normal wheel as the mf had buttons to controll the radio??
shouldn't effect the radio, its just some extra controls you are removing

Cheers

SJ

o