Howdy, looking for some advice

gtiandy

Reaction score
Newby here.

Looking for some advice on buying an S3.

Went to look at an S3 this morning. 2001 51 plate. Its got 90k on it. The car has been sitting on the forecourt for about 3 months. When the guy at the garage started it up the engine management light came on. he told me it would do this before he started it up. His reason for it was that it hadnt been on a run for quite some time and once it had been taken for a good drive it would be go out. Basically he was saying its a bit clogged, probably in need of a service. Does this sound plausable, or could it be something a bit more sinister?

andy

no the light wont just come on if the car hasnt been used thats utter rubbish, id ask him to plug the car in so you can find out what the code is then come back on here with the results so we can give you further advice, im sure if he really wants to sell the car then he wont mind being so helpfull, plus if it is an issue there are los of other s3'sout there going very cheap at the mosome are a right bargin

Thanks for your response. And thats exactly what I thought when I saw the light come on and his excuse. The garage is not an Audi dealer, just an independent garage so not sure of his access to VAG com to give me the fault code. Was going to get an AA vehicle inspection done, would they have the software to get the code?

andy

its not your job to fix the car just walk away Andy
buyers market so be patient and you'll get one

well hes started with bullshiiiiiii so hes probally full of it , not worth the risc imo there are loads out there at good prices

Dont bother with it mate, theres plenty of MINT examples out there at the mo also at very good prices, so hold tight and the roght one will come up, if hes lying to you now, whats he going to be like if you do buy it and you have probs with it????

Walk away. Period.

I bought my car with what sounded like an exhaust rattle, turns out that the VVTI unit and timing chain and a few other components needed replacing. Got it done with a bill of over £1000.

Patience is your best friend when looking for a car, especially with a prestige car such as the S3. Walk away, trawl the net, www.pistonheads.com is a great site with loads for sale, they mostly are really nice examples too.

I travelled to kent for mine (live in Cardiff) so was prepared to travel for the "right" car.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find the right one for you soon enough.

G

buy one off a member on here,at least you'll know if any problems.
just ask any of us

Cheers guys, I have been looking for a while. Just now starting to physically go and look at them. Problem is, in Scotland there are not that many for sale. Loads down south just not many up here. Travelled down to Leeds for my current Mk2 golf and the one before that was in Newcastle so not adverse to travelling. Just need to find the right one I suppose. The search continues.....

Voorhees, is there a for sale section within the forum? I'v looked but not noticed one.

andy

Thanks, noticed it after I made my post:blush: I had just been looking down the general forum part.

Cheers,

Andy