I need you views - Buy or Wait

noodle

Reaction score
This happend the last time I nearly brought a new car, just as I'd decided what to get they announced a new model - Doh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've not been on here for some time so may have missed loads about the forthcoming A3/S3, so my appoligies.

Currently I'm looking at using Colin to import my S3, sometime around June, but am wary that this is around the time Audi are releasing the new shape A3 ( I think!), so I'm a bit worried about re-sale values etc, and although I have no plans to get rid of the S3 for some time (3/4 yrs), you never know what is around the corner, and if I was forced to sell I'd be devistated I'd brought at the wrong time - gota have it NOW syndrome, and all that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your view would be greatly received /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. So what do you think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif:

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1045755529noodle">

Buy - Wait
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Sod it, go and buy it
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Wait!
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Same choice, but I just went and got one. Might not like the new one, plus dearer to insure etc. etc. Resale on 3-4 years should be ok for an S3 bought just now (at least I hope so!).

If you can afford the new S3 or would prefer a new 3.2Q A3 then it might be worth waiting. I'm glad I got the S3 now.

Do you have to get a brand new one?

Personally, not that I have a choice, I'd wait for the new range, give them a test, if you're not impressed then I'm certain you'll be able pick up a used S3 from a dealer that's cheap and with low miles (as I'm sure the fashion concious would of traded them in for the latest version).
This way you avoid any deprecation problems but have a geniune choice between the two.

IMO how can you choose something if you haven't tried it, let alone seen it.

I still voted 'sod it buy it' in the poll!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The other thing to point out is that there isn't going to be a new S3 initially, its meant to be lanuched sometime end of 2004 early 05, so although there will be new A3s I don't think it will knock the value of the S3 too badly.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
Do you have to get a brand new one?

Personally, not that I have a choice, I'd wait for the new range, give them a test, if you're not impressed then I'm certain you'll be able pick up a used S3 from a dealer that's cheap and with low miles (as I'm sure the fashion concious would of traded them in for the latest version).
This way you avoid any deprecation problems but have a geniune choice between the two.

IMO how can you choose something if you haven't tried it, let alone seen it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's a good idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:

Now that's a good idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a good idea if you're impatient like me though!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I could never take my own advice, that would be too sensible! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Isn't "last orders" for the S3 next month? You don't have long to make your mind up mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck whatever you decide,

Ben

"Last orders next month" - Eh???

Holly C**p I hope not...

Anybody else heard this??? Panic attack setting in......

Look for Colins post on it. I'm sure he said March.

I would wait. i am concerned that the new 3.2V6 A3 will cause a few problems for the S3 on the depreciation front. Why not wait until June? Then find a low mileage S3 at a good dealer and haggle a good price as I would have thought that all interest will be focused on the new A3?

I've heard the same.
S3 orders are due to finish very shortly, it's either order now or buy second hand. I'm sure you'll find a pretty good low miler but is there anything nicer than
picking up a brand new motor (that doesn't involve a female), I think not.

As a bunch of car enthusiasts/nutcases we'll always be searching for bigger,better,faster with more bhp,torque and shiny bits but IMO the current S3 will take some beating and I have no regrets at all about my choice.
If you've got the ££'s then bite the bullet and order before it's too late.

Jack.

A couple of issues here. Firstly the new "A3" 3.2l may very well be the new S3. Because Audi announce plans for the engine variant in the A3 package doesn't mean it's due for launch this summer with the others in the A3 range. Personally I think their description of the engine in the new A3 might well be referring to the new S3, in which case there is a wait for at least another 18 months.

This is exactly what Audi did with the A4/S4 except they sold old shape S4/RS4's alongside the new A4 in the showrooms. They are discontinuing the S3 before the new A3 is launched.

Now, wind the clock forward two years, the new S3 is out and you have a 2002 old shape with 10-20k on the clock. There will be nothing in between and let's say the new car costs £28k. Yours will be worth around £18-£20k so the market will be different.

A buyer either has £28k for a new one or not. Someone with £20k to spend would be looking for the best "S3 classic" he can get his hands on for the money. If anything, the value of low mileage late model S3's will be sustained for a while until the first batch of year old "new" S3's starts to hit the used car market, ie in 2006!

Wait for the new model or buy now? I put my own money where my mouth is and ordered my 5th personal S3 and loaded it (Ebony, black leather, heated seats, acoustic parking, Bose, CD changer, Sat Nav Plus, 18" wheels, lowered suspension, polished door mirrors). Even with the Euro at 1.48, I am betting on a sustained used value when I sell the car in a year or two.

Oh, ordered an R32 for delivery in a few weeks too, so it may turn out the Golf is so stunning the S3 has to go, watch this space!

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, ordered an R32 for delivery in a few weeks too, so it may turn out the Golf is so stunning the S3 has to go, watch this space!

[/ QUOTE ]
Colin, have you imported the R32?

Yes, with leather and the Delta radio &amp; CD changer comes in at just under £22k even with the crap Euro at 1.48!

Better savings if the Euro moves back towards 1.60 again.

I suppose you have to think about everything carefully but...

If you really are worried about resale values, you wouldn't be buying a new audi, would you??

My guess is that you'd be buying some accountants car - about 2-3 yrs old, fully loaded with options, a bland grey car...?

On the other hand - are you in that bad a financial position? Got for another test drive and just order one. Money is meant to be spent!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Colin M said:
I put my own money where my mouth is and ordered my 5th personal S3 and loaded it (Ebony, black leather, heated seats, acoustic parking, Bose, CD changer, Sat Nav Plus, 18" wheels, lowered suspension, polished door mirrors).

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it the Missus is going to be driving it? hence the acoustic parking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif