Could my standard recirc valve be broken?

S3-Oski

Reaction score
Hi all i have a totally standard audi s3 apart from a remap, i noticed under slight throttle when i accelerate and lift off i get a slight compressor surge sound like the choppy sound is this normal?

But if i accelerate hard and then lift off it sounds like it dumps a tiny bit is this normal or do you think i should replace it? As i thought the recirc are meant to be quiet as they non atmospheric? thanks,

Not sure about the sound but it is advisable to replace the standard DV to a Forge 007p one esp on remapped cars.

Not sure about the sound but it is advisable to replace the standard DV to a Forge 007p one esp on remapped cars.

Thanks i will check that, is there any way to check mine is standard? does it have any marks etc?

Also i have noticed sometimes my car on heavy accerlation when i change gear the revs rise by like 500 or so, at first i thought it was my driving getting used to the car etc, but have just let my friend have a go and he noticed it straight away,

It does not do this all the time but sometimes, Does any1 know where to start looking for this?

as i have only just bought this car and it did not do this on test drive long drive home and for at least a week, :think:

if you are getting compressor stall, it would imply that the diaphram in the DV is split.

my forge DV with a stiffer spring opens EVERY time I back off the throttle, regardless of how much I applied it, and the standard one should do the same, as it feeds from the manifold. As soon as you close the throttle plate, there is a vacuum within the plenum, and this should open the DV.

I'd imagine your diaphram is split, or perhaps starting to split, hence why you get a slight dump after using more boost.

Replace it with a standard one by all means, but don't expect it to last forever.

I'd advise a forge 007P piston recirc valve, it's just about THE most popular DV on the 20vt engine, and there's a very good reason for that!

Thanks Prawn!:icon_thumright:, is there any way to check mine is standard? sorry for the dumb questions but im so new to it all,

Also could this affect my car when the revs rise, in between gearchanges? as this very odd why its doing this or is this something else? ive got a big service due soon and i want to get all the bits done, thanks,

I'd advise a forge 007P piston recirc valve, it's just about THE most popular DV on the 20vt engine, and there's a very good reason for that!

does it makes a chavy whoosh noise or a nice quiet one like a standard DV?

it makes pretty much NO more sound than the standard unit at all. I didn't notice any difference, as it's doing the same job, taking charged air and putting it back into the turbo intake pipe.

It's the Split-R valve that makes a god awful noise, or anything atmospheric which just doesn't suit the engine.

Oski- the revs rising between gear changes is apparently down to a faulty clutch switch I've heard, although having an older AGU engine'd A3 it's never been an issue for me.