Help - Auxiliary belt replacement cost

benr

Reaction score
Hi,

My aux belt (fan belt?) has lost a rib and was flapping something aweful.

An aa guy cut off the offending rib but has said i need to get it done tommorow and will be ok to drive to work (only 5 miles to my work in shipley)

I want to get it done local to my work so i will ring a few independent garages in the morning.

Can anyone advise me of what sort of cost i will be looking at so i dont get ripped off. The aa guy thought approx 1 hour labour and not sure about the cost of the part.

Please help
Thanks

Sorry forgot to say A3 2001 1.9tdi.

Does this make any difference?

And is this another name for a fan belt?

Had mine done when I had the cambelt done, got it done for a tenner!!!

Cheers for your help guys. I will get it booked in and hopefully done tommorow.

small update, rang round 4 places with quite varying quotes.

some places are saying it will need tensioners but others saying probably not as its probably doing its job fine.

Best qoute i got was approx £40+VAT part and labour so will take it in tommorow. Do you guys recon it will be ok to drive as is - approx 5 miles home and 5 miles back to the garage in the morning?

Also is this the reason it is ribbed so if it does go you will know about it to get it sorted?

When the belt is being replaced as the garage to make sure the alternater freewheel pulley is working correctly, as this can cause the V belt to fail.

its ribbed to give the correct drive, I take it you have air con. The tensioner should be ok but some places will want to quote to change it as it could be the reason the belt went and they have to know the job is ok for x amount of time. If the belt is still on you will be fine. If the belt had totally snapped you are just draining your battery so keep the lights and lux stuff off as much as poss to minimise battery drain.

Thanks is this the same as the tensioner?

How much would you recon this is to replace too?

Yes i have air con. Thanks very much for the info. Speaking to garages they can do a visual inspection, so i guess if it needs doing he will tell me at the time.

But is a tentioner an expensive part? and lots of extra labour?

No extra labour but it usually the most expensive part when having the cambelt done, about £80 IIRC.

Thanks i had my cambelt kit done a few months back. But they wouldnt have replaced the fan belt tensioners would they?

Doubt it, and I'd imagine/hope those tensioners are cheaper than the cambelt one.

I don`t know how much the tensioner would be but there is as much work involved in changing it as there is to do the belt. On the S3 you would have to move a couple of pipes to get to the tensioner to remove it. Whereas it is just a case of relasing the tension , dropping the old belt off and rethreading the new one. There may be a cover underneath the car that has to be removed but thats easy 2 mins tops.

Cool cheers for the replies i will just have to see how it goes.

Thanks
Ben

Cheers for the advice guys, Its been done for £45.