JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
    thats me

Status

well can confirm cam belt change is a cow

started cam belt change today , 2 hrs in just about got it off 4-5 hrs later and its dark but back on . Just aux belt to do in the morning and a couple of brackets to locate that I couldn`t remember where they went in the dark.

Anyone considering doing it then its not average diy job imo and ive swapped engines, rebuilt them done other cam belts and this one has to be the worst ive done. Will have a few scabs on the hands in the morning.
    red to red black to black blue to bits

2. # ADS
    ADS

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    i didnt find it to bd when i done mine but i do cambelts quite often as its my profesion lol, however i have to agree with the hands being ripped to sh=t

thats me

Status
    i think it was more the amout of stuff that had to be taken off prior to the cam belt, also learning how far to tilt the engine to get the bolts out then back in. The cam belt top cover was a bugger to get off.

also I had print outs from the audi manuals but they just say remove rubber plug to set top dead center but dont show you where it is lol it likes to play hide and seek i think lol

also no arrow to indicate tdc in the opening. Think trying to look after a 2 year old at the same time didnt help the patience

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    lol well would definently find the job alot harder with no ramp at home and a 2 year old helping lol

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fingermouse View Post
    also learning how far to tilt the engine to get the bolts out then back in. The cam belt top cover was a bugger to get off.
    i think these 2 are the worst parts...LOL

and putting the new belt on.

other than that, not that bad if you follow the steps carefully.
    ^^ In my opinion

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    I can never seem to remove the engine mount part that bolts to the side of the engine. I have to leave it hanging usually. Tis a pain, but think of the money saved. Well done for having a go.

also I had print outs from the audi manuals but they just say remove rubber plug to set top dead center but dont show you where it is
    Take a look at my now outdated guide --> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.y...di_A3_1.8T.doc

There is a picture of the opening and the TDC mark (I painted mine for clarity).

I would check it and make sure you turn the engine over by hand several times to make sure there is no piston valve contact. Easy to get it a few teeth out.

A garage tip is to mark the pulleys and belt and then count the number of teeth. Mark the new belt, making sure not to turn the engine, and then you know the timing is correct. Always double check with the OEM timing marks as well.

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    as above i never remove the engine mount either and just leave it hanging then work around it as its to much hassel to remove for little benifit, also check the tread total brake failure make sure your power steering pipe and oil feed pipe to the turbo are clear away from the pipes that exit the bottom of the master cylinder

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    since I did mine, I've been getting a grinding noise full lock/moving very slowly. Checked power steering fluid...all fine; checked cv joint/ all fine. Or is it just coincidence that the noise came just after the belt change?
    ^^ In my opinion

thats me

Status
    i did mark the belt and pullys up , good job as it would have been 1 tooth out if I hadnt, also used a couple of tie wraps to hold the belt on the top pully. As the light was failing I struggled to find the holes for the tensioner cylinder but got there in the end.

thats me

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HTC View Post
    I can never seem to remove the engine mount part that bolts to the side of the engine. I have to leave it hanging usually. Tis a pain, but think of the money saved. Well done for having a go.

Take a look at my now outdated guide --> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.y...di_A3_1.8T.doc

There is a picture of the opening and the TDC mark (I painted mine for clarity).

I would check it and make sure you turn the engine over by hand several times to make sure there is no piston valve contact. Easy to get it a few teeth out.

A garage tip is to mark the pulleys and belt and then count the number of teeth. Mark the new belt, making sure not to turn the engine, and then you know the timing is correct. Always double check with the OEM timing marks as well.
    I had that guide wondered where id got it from thanks, just in the pic the hole for tdc is next to another hole on mine its just one hole with what looks like a water bottle stopper in it. Oh and there isnt a arrow to stop the mark next to. The bung is also underneath a load of pipes so ypu have to hunt it down lol

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    for future reference...this is a good guide too:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2840728

and this:

http://www.amp82.co.uk/tt/timingbelt/
    ^^ In my opinion

thats me

Status
    the 2nd one is very good, the first just doesn`t have enough stuff in the way

been out and nearlly finished it now , amazing what a good nights sleep can do.