1.8T conversion to LPG

There are a few guys over on ed38 who have converted their 1.8T golfs to LPG, one guy with a silver gti, has a 50 litre tank which sits inside the spare wheel well, sounds like it works fairly well!

There was an article in practical performance car (either this month or last) which explained a bit about it, they reckoned that once the S3 engine was mapped to run on lpg it'd be producing around the 270bhp mark, something to do with the higher octane rating of LPG versus normal petrol

I'll try to dig it out

I questioned this ages ago and got told that the higher octance of LPG would make the car quicker, however depending on the car (In my reference it was the S3) as the car is quite heavy as standard the Tank would just add extra weight to the car, so it depends if you want to be driving an elephant....

In theory it does sound very good, and considering i do mainly motorway miles, it is defo something I would look to doing, for cost purposes mainly.

depends if you can offset the 2-3k figure to have it fitted against the petrol costs.... plus the smaller spare wheel well of the S3, plus the lack of spare wheel..... my dad has it on his 4.8 V8 grand cherokee...... although you get less miles to the gallon because it has higher octane (albeit cheaper)and your betting that the government doesnt massively increase taxes once enough people have changed over

Well at the moment I'm spending about £120 per week in fuel on a 160-mile daily round trip up and down the M4.

Assuming the price of unleaded is 94.9 and LPG is 52.9 (as seen at a Shell in Reading yesterday), and making the assumption that the same amount of fuel would be used (I know this is incorrect but I want to make the sums simple ;) ) my fuel bill could drop to about £66-70, which could represent a saving of £50 per week, or £200 per month.

10 months, and could have paid for itself! (Approx.)

ok, the cost of the LPG per litre actually works out more than petrol because you arent getting as much to the gallon...... then the true cost of conversion.... it may work and im not ruling it out

Well at the moment I'm spending about £120 per week in fuel
I saw the title of this thread and thought why would you bother but your fuel bill is astronomical! hope you get it sorted.

Well at the moment I'm spending about £120 per week in fuel on a 160-mile daily round trip up and down the M4.

Assuming the price of unleaded is 94.9 and LPG is 52.9 (as seen at a Shell in Reading yesterday), and making the assumption that the same amount of fuel would be used (I know this is incorrect but I want to make the sums simple ;) ) my fuel bill could drop to about £66-70, which could represent a saving of £50 per week, or £200 per month.

10 months, and could have paid for itself! (Approx.)

I thought mine was bad doing 60 miles a day ! That fuel bill is a killer !