VAG COM leads

Tim20

Reaction score
Hello,

IM fairly new to Audi ownership and specifically using a laptop to diagnose problems with my car. Im an old school VW man at heart and they didn't need fancy computers just good old fashioned spanners

Im looking to buy a VAG COM lead to run the free version of the Ross tech web site.

Can anyone recomend a lead to use, anyone got experience of the ebay ones??

My car is a 1998 1.8t AUG A3 sport if it makes any difference

Tim

vag tacho mate does so many things ,

program new keys check codes do so much more than vagcom

you can check error codes with vag tacho? really? can you edit channel values and change coding? can you connect to all ecu's on the car? how good does it work? I would have to disagree that it does so much more as vag-com has much better support and usage on the forums and its ease of use with label files.

Anyway back to the question ive bought one from ebay i got cheapest available and has done me fine for a good few months so far. Once you buy it though you will want to buy original, as the software updates and support is very good. It costs £260 ish though.

IMO its a good starting point and worth getting to grips with before you commit to the full version.

Vag com is excellent and is very handy IMO is the best tool around

Yes both are just as good :) Mine arrives tommorro

What version are you getting? as i have done a bit of research (read the vag tacho manuals etc etc) and i dont believe it will do anywhere near as much as vag-com. But does have good stuff (SKC etc) which is why im getting one.

When you get it please reply to my previous post to what it can do. As i think thats a massive statement which i have never read elsewhere lol

I have version version 409.1 from ebay including the lead. It cost about £13 which is throw away money!! It sucessfully diagnosed my N249 valve problem on my 1.8t so has already done me proud. However what is also interesting is the other software on the cd that came with it. as well as radio decoding software there is also Vag tacho including manuals. I haven't used it yet so can't comment on it but yes, it seems to be able to program keys etc.
Money well spent in my opinion even if the lead doesn't last long as can happen with these cheapies.

I have version version 409.1 from ebay including the lead. It cost about £13 which is throw away money!! It sucessfully diagnosed my N249 valve problem on my 1.8t so has already done me proud. However what is also interesting is the other software on the cd that came with it. as well as radio decoding software there is also Vag tacho including manuals. I haven't used it yet so can't comment on it but yes, it seems to be able to program keys etc.
Money well spent in my opinion even if the lead doesn't last long as can happen with these cheapies.

nickrex - these ebay sellers always send the same disc with any cable as the disc comes with all the software.

You will need a vag tacho cable to work with the software etc, etc the cables are not cross compatible

If your going to get a vag-com of ebay yes thats cheap but u wont beable to use a vagtacho software on it ...

http://www.vagproducts.co.uk/vagtacho.html

nickrex - these ebay sellers always send the same disc with any cable as the disc comes with all the software.

You will need a vag tacho cable to work with the software etc, etc the cables are not cross compatible

So whats the illuminated needles all about?

Can you program a beep from the alarm when locking from VAG-COM?

Yes both are just as good :) Mine arrives tommorro

VAG Tacho doesn't appear to do half of what VAG-Com can. It has none of the diagnostic features which are probably the most useful function of VAG-Com; there's no measuring blocks for starters which is the most essential of tools for fault diagnosis.

The OP is looking for fault diagnosis tools and I fear VAG Tacho won't do anything that he requires of it.

Well i only got vag tacho to code keys etc .

i can use vag com with it aswell ;)

VAG Tacho doesn't appear to do half of what VAG-Com can. It has none of the diagnostic features which are probably the most useful function of VAG-Com; there's no measuring blocks for starters which is the most essential of tools for fault diagnosis.

The OP is looking for fault diagnosis tools and I fear VAG Tacho won't do anything that he requires of it.

Can you program a beep from the alarm when locking from VAG-COM?

Yes its easy peasy with vag com

So whats the illuminated needles all about?

I believe this is to do with having the needles or the whole cluster lit up with ignition on and without headlights on.

I dont think it can be done on the 8L or i havent seen it done

Here is the one I got. Yes I guess you will also need a VagTacho cable to use the Vagtacho software but for a basic version of Vagcom at this price is great.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-COM-USB-VW-Audi-Car-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-OBD-2_W0QQitemZ250320770310QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item250320770310&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1299|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1317

Blimey thats a long link!!!

Yes its easy peasy with vag com

I believe this is to do with having the needles or the whole cluster lit up with ignition on and without headlights on.

I dont think it can be done on the 8L or i havent seen it done

I'm guessing it can be done on the 8L as my mate has a 1.8t the same year as mine(2001). I was in it a few weeks ago and noticed that his needles are permenantly illuminated. He hasn't been messing with it but I guess a previous owner has.

cool. Would be interesting to see how its done

I need this needle de-illumination done on mine as ive given the audi to my sister now and she is constantly driving around with no headlights on!

& she obviously doesnt notice the road being unbelievably dark at night then even with lit needles, lol

No the pre-facelift halogen lights are uber **** cant even tell when they are on! Living in london means having extra street lamps and extra cars so you can practically drive with them off all the time.

Here is the one I got. Yes I guess you will also need a VagTacho cable to use the Vagtacho software but for a basic version of Vagcom at this price is great.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-COM-USB-VW-Audi-Car-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-OBD-2_W0QQitemZ250320770310QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item250320770310&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1299|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1317

Blimey thats a long link!!!

Thanks for the link. With this version can you make your doors auto-lock and change the beep when you alarm your car?

I have also seen this link - http://www.kevin-st.co.uk/tt/codes.htm and wondered that if you connect your cable and use the app on this page you can change these things without Vagcom etc?

yes, you can

Not without VAG-Com or some other similar software you can't. All the app on that page does is calculate the correct value to enable certain features. You then need to use VAG-Com to actually apply the setting

Not without VAG-Com or some other similar software you can't. All the app on that page does is calculate the correct value to enable certain features. You then need to use VAG-Com to actually apply the setting

:banghead: - surely there is another way to change these simple settings without paying £260 for the full version.

What does the £13 version actually let you do then?

lol...sorry :(

i thought he was asking about the vagcom lead...my bad

I didn't even read it properly

but you can get a £13 vagcom cable and the 409 shareware version to do it. I've done it before

How do you make the alarm beep, and the doors lock at 15mph using the vagcom cable and 409 software? If this is possible that is, thanks