S3 prepurchase questions.

preecep

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hopefully joining the S3 club shortly and I have a few questions. It would be great if one of you knowledgeable people could answer them!

I am looking for a 2003 model - is it worth spending extra to get a low-ish mileage version (eg 50K rather than 70K) ?

I recently test drove an 03 78K version which had worn off buttons for the Fan and Temp controls - is that normal for the age/mileage? The same car had hesitation and made a squealing noise from the engine between 3000 & 3300 RPM under full throttle in 5 & 6. (my totally novice guess would be something to do with the cross over in VVT) They are giving it a service today, but should I walk away even if the problem has been 'fixed'? Lovely drive though.

Thanks!

Definately not worth going for a low mileage example as they tend to have had a hard life with lots of short journeys and with 50k on the clock you'll be looking at £500 for cambelt/water pump etc, while a higher mileage car with say 80k will have had this done already. My 11 year old B5 has done 180k and there's no wear on any of the buttons so sounds a bit dodgy to me, a 5 year old S3 should be immaculate in every way.

I bought mine on 19k miles. The owner had the car sorn'd for alot of its life and stored in a garage and when it was driven it wasnt just to get down the shops.

Try to find out about the history. This will give a better indication rather than just assuming its journeys have been short and going unnecessarily
for a higher mileage example in the hope its had a "better" life.

Assume its journeys have been short because 9 times out of 10 they will have been.

Agree with everything thats been said but unfortunately the worn buttons are a common problem on the 8L, my S3 and A3 suffered from this and apparently the only real fix is a whole new unit which is ridiculous imo. But best of luck with the S3 hunting!

Agree with everything thats been said but unfortunately the worn buttons are a common problem on the 8L, my S3 and A3 suffered from this and apparently the only real fix is a whole new unit which is ridiculous imo. But best of luck with the S3 hunting!

A Black Staedtler permanent OHP/CD Pen can be used to improve the look of the worn buttons. Makes them look fine during the day, and they take on a slightly reddish splodge at night.

Cheers,

I've had my S3 for almost a year now, and had the same concerns about mileage when looking for one. Ended up with one higher than I wanted intially (73K) but have to say it has run and sounded great over the past 13K since purchased. -That also includes a CC remap which has had no negative effects on the car whatsoever.

Most of the miles were motorway before I bought it, and the majority I've put on have been pretty much the same. Original clutch, (which is showing no signs of slipping!) since remap, however I did ensure the cambelt was changed prior to buying. Make sure the oil has been changed regularly, and check for white/yellow milky residue under the oil cap.

As for the buttons, common problem. I touched mine up with a permanent black marker and it's hardly noticeable!

Not sure about hesitation on revs, but if it's being serviced hopefully this will b resolved for you.

Good luck with it! (And welcome to the family!!!) :s3addict:

think id look around for another s3 plenty out there and hopefully will have none of the said problems i have a 2000 s3 with 73k ont eh clock and my heater buttons are all ok

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm very tempted by it, as it was a nice tight example otherwise.