Things to do and not to do with your A3.....

Gambba

Reaction score
Well folks, it's been a while since I've started my own post, so what better way than with a whole host of issues I've had/got going on.

A couple of weeks back I was replacing my top and bottom exhaust gaskets on the turbo, when I decided it would be a good idea to shear one of the exhaust pipe mounting studs off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif This all happened because I was too bone idle to do the work under the car and thought I'd do it from the top, which meant I didn't get proper leverage on the nut and put excessive bending motion on the stud. Well luckily the stud still had a reasonable portion sticking out from the threaded section in the turbo, but a set of mole grips would not budge it, so it needed a nut welding on to it and taking out that way.....In all of this I also managed to take a large chunk out of my little finger!

The lesson on this one is first if you're going to remove the downpipe section from the turbo do it from underneath the car! Secondly add some WD40 to the protruding threaded section! And lastly take your time doing things!

Moving on from the above I got bored and decided the MAF needed cleaning due to a few running problems, well it was all going to plan it was clearly dirty but also it was broken (not that I knew at this point). So out came a cotton bud to wipe the actual sensor down...mistake! The sensor board had previously fractured and my cleaning it caused the fractured piece to completely separate from the board....opps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well at least now the car was running very smoothly albeit with about 100hp less than I wanted. First quote for a MAF was 273 Euros, but then the dealer looked a bit further and found the service exchange part which came through at a far better 99 Euros, although nobody had it in stock. After a weekend of lethargic driving the MAF turned up on Monday morning and all was good again...well even better in fact.

So whilst I was laying under my car looking dreamily up at my turbo I dreamt a dream that my turbo housing was cracked.......which in fact it does appear to be, or at least it's leaking, so that means a turbo off job to inspect it!

So I have learnt that being blind is blissful, and whilst all of these jobs needed doing the end of the day made me wish I hadn't woken up!

On the flip side to this all, is that today I have my front wishbone powerflex mount arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

And more importantly due to my problem with the turbo I decided I would do some digging into my possibilities.....Well I looked on e-bay to see what was on offer, as I knew I couldn't justify the massive wonga of the normal turbo upgrades offered by Jabba, Oettinger, AmD and the like, so thought I'd look a little closer to home... By closer to home I mean work which for me is looking within the world of Mitsubishi, who happen to make very good turbos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
So a couple of calls later to some friends of friends, and it seems I may have a free turbo on the way and can pick up the manifold, oil and water feed pipes and inlet pipe for around the 1000 Euro mark from an Italian contact, all I then need is a remap.

So it may be that out of the problems something good may come out of it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

If you are going to take any metal bolts off on the exhaust flange it's easier to get them off if you run the car for a while to get them hot. bellieve me much easier to get off.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:So whilst I was laying under my car looking dreamily up at my turbo I dreamt a dream that my turbo housing was cracked.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! you know you are a petrol head when you sleep under your car!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I've got a few days coming up of similar bits and bobs fixes. Been putting it of for a while.

Keep us posted on the turbo swap...........with pics of course.

Sorry to hear that Daniel. Ignorance is sometimes bliss LOL. BTW, Im bidding for motorbike parts from Heino in the Netherlands off of Ebay - ever heard of the place?

[ QUOTE ]
FOLLOW ME said:
If you are going to take any metal bolts off on the exhaust flange it's easier to get them off if you run the car for a while to get them hot. bellieve me much easier to get off.

[/ QUOTE ]

This applies to most exhaust flanges, except for a nut setup and definately is not quite so easy near the turbo!!

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
What is the mounting flange like for a 'bishi turbo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is the whole kit

[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
Sorry to hear that Daniel. Ignorance is sometimes bliss LOL. BTW, Im bidding for motorbike parts from Heino in the Netherlands off of Ebay - ever heard of the place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the place is about a 45 minute to an hour drive from me, let me know if you need assistance with shipping.

Basically it's a bag of unknowns at present, but basically this kit was fitted to a TT previously and is running 300 hp quite happily, with only a remap, and although if I do go ahead with it my figures will be somewhat more conservative it would be a nice power hike nonetheless.

The turbo is a TD04HL-15-7, and previously I wasn't aware that anybody had done a kit for a Mitsi turbo but then if you ask the right people you get the right answers!!

The Italian chap has also said that they can offer me a map from there supplier, but I think I may see if Oettinger can fit me in to do some tweaking on the current Oettinger chip.

First stage is getting the turbo, which should be the easiest part and will only cost a beer or two, but the rest is a bit unknown at the moment, but will let you know when I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Excellent, good stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It will make sense to put some injectors in whilst your at it.

Std 15/180 max out at 225, 225 injectors max out at 280 - this is on 3 bar of fuel.

I think with 325cc injectiors & a cooler you'll see 300 easily enough.

I'll look forward to seeing the results mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Damn Daniel, sorry to hear bout all of your troubles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But at least there's a silver lining
ECLIPSe.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And while you're working on the turbo, might as well get the exhaust swapped out too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope you get it sorted, and if you come down to Oettinger, let me know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Can you make that much selling ur body in the Netherlands? As for Xv535 parts, Dont think there should be too much probs with shipping, it is the fact that it will cost as much or more to send the money via banks IIRC it was £20 last time. Shame ur parts are damaged or i'd I could have bought the parts off of you to offset your upgrade. I realy miss not having a Turbo LOL

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said: Well this is the whole kit

[/ QUOTE ]

looks interesting........ how ill you ever fit this under the bonnet?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:
Gammba, where is the best information/instructions on cleaning the MAF? I can't find a good link anywhere. The last thing i want to do is break it.

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just use some electrical cleaner and spray it on and you'll be fine, no real need to clean it with a cotton bud really.

So I took my Turbo off yesterday (5 hours to remove and reinstall!!) and look what I found /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

...and guess what....there's more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hey look I found another /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But she still runs, albeit a bit noisy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thats a little ****** aint it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

A smidgen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif but she still goes, and would still take you on the 1/4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

[/ QUOTE ]

A smidgen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif but she still goes, and would still take you on the 1/4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif just you wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
0-60 in 6.49 secs = ****** turbo.. NICE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
0-60 in 6.49 secs = ****** turbo.. NICE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just shows that the car has been driven /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Like driven to death /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope you get it sorted soon though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Joe

Thoose cracks are a realy good excuse to get a bigger Turbo with good conscience, I mean youll have to get newone anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dani said:
Thoose cracks are a realy good excuse to get a bigger Turbo with good conscience, I mean youll have to get newone anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, but now i'm starting to wonder whether the cars worth keeping or not....and starting to looking at buying a BMW again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So do I put a new K03 on and forget the whole upgrade idea? Do I fit a K04 and not bother with a remap for the time being, as this will require the least mods of the bigger turbos, or do I go for the Mitsi turbo upgrade? I'm assuming that the Mitsi turbo will be ok to run without a new remap to start with and will improve power, allowing me to run it to Oettinger and then get it mapped with TT injectors.....any thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
Dani said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, but now i'm starting to wonder whether the cars worth keeping or not....and starting to looking at buying a BMW again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So do I put a new K03 on and forget the whole upgrade idea? Do I fit a K04 and not bother with a remap for the time being, as this will require the least mods of the bigger turbos, or do I go for the Mitsi turbo upgrade? I'm assuming that the Mitsi turbo will be ok to run without a new remap to start with and will improve power, allowing me to run it to Oettinger and then get it mapped with TT injectors.....any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally i would change to a different turbo without changing the map as it will be completely wrong fuelling .etc. If you want to change cars, now is the time to do it, but you will still have to get a new turbo (unless you trade in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Personally i would change to a different turbo without changing the map as it will be completely wrong fuelling .etc. If you want to change cars, now is the time to do it, but you will still have to get a new turbo (unless you trade in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich, that's true in terms of getting the most out of the turbo upgrade, but the ECU will adapt the fuelling to suit the air flow as measured by the MAF, so although it will not be optimal it will still run in my opinion without any problems.

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:

Just shows that the car has been driven /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Like driven to death /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope you get it sorted soon though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah but the old girls still alive, and under hard acceleration you wouldn't realise it's ****** /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've had problems with exhaust leakage, but in the region of the turbo it's very hard to inspect, so basically I did the easiest jobs, which were the gaskets, but still this didn't solve it. Performance is down due to the turbo leaking, but it wasn't really overly noticable until recently.

Now considering an Alpina 3.3 as a change, or should I go for the turbo upgrade?? Will Oettinger play with my map for me do you think? or will they not touch a car with a different turbo to their spec on it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not sure Gammba

Question is the Mitsu Turbo for a car or is it used in other places?

Apparently K04's are cheap in the US u could pick one up for $800US

wouldnt it work out better if u got a K04 and then get Oettinger to upgrade ur map?

BTW ur cars not under warranty is it?

DO IT ! DO IT!

then get the car blessed by priest or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
The Mit turbo is just part of the whole line up and is no doubt used on a car somewhere, but how tempting is it when you can pick up a free turbo, and 1700 Euro's will probably see you looking at close to 300 hp!!

Why 300hp, well that's what they had a TT running with this turbo, manifold and intake, so all i need is the mounting kit, turbo, S3/TT injectors and MAF housing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

So this would all work out for well under half the price that Jabba, Oettinger, AmD would charge! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont forget the stock IC has to go. Its crap at best on the K03 let along anything else.

if i were you (what i plan to do anyway) it get the S3/TT inlet manifold, reroute some pipework and throttle cable .etc and plumb in a front mount.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Dont forget the stock IC has to go. Its crap at best on the K03 let along anything else.

if i were you (what i plan to do anyway) it get the S3/TT inlet manifold, reroute some pipework and throttle cable .etc and plumb in a front mount.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess this would have to be done in stages, first off the turbo fitted, then addition of TT injectors and 4 bar FPR, then a remap with exhaust and finally a FMIC, or twin IC set-up as per TT/S3......so many things to think about!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I guess this would have to be done in stages, first off the turbo fitted, then addition of TT injectors and 4 bar FPR, then a remap with exhaust and finally a FMIC, or twin IC set-up as per TT/S3......so many things to think about!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres alot more to change than JUst the turbo... bit of a bummer really cos it tends to near double the price. Also, the clutch wont take that much power...thats sure to go in not so long unlesss its pretty new.

Rich

By fitting the turbo, i mean everything to do with the trubo i.e. exhaust manifold, inlet and outlet pipes, lube and cooling lines. The kit I would get was designed for the TT which is why i'm slightly apprehensive, as I'm not sure it will all be a perfect fit......

Oh and I forgot to mention that I'd be doing the timing belt, water pump and clutch at the time of the upgrade, for piece of mind.